Windows 10

Yes, it’s an insider build and you can expect these kinds of things on the fast ring, absolutely. I just haven’t run into anything near this bad yet, it’s all been pretty stable. The only reason I am on the fast ring is for the linux subsystem updates - no other way to get them.

It’s not a big deal even if it trashed my system, it would just take a couple of hours to restore. Which would be annoying, but not the end of the world. I was more venting about the length of the update process. I can reinstall that build from scratch faster than the update. Also it would be nice if when you select update and shutdown it actually went through the full update including profile upgrade instead of the current ‘shutdown and do the update next time you turn on the machine’.

I got an update last night, but it’s only 14393. It’s good to be behind the times.

I thought so, but to read all the chatter on the internet you’d think that this was an official update that was going to screw up every computer that used dual monitors. It still might when the official update comes out, but hopefully Microsoft will have it fixed by then. Which by the way makes me thankful to all of you who have the time and patience to run beta software and report the bugs you find.

Build 9600 here, no problems since late July last year :-)

Recall the game Wish used multi monitors very nicely.

Is there a good replacement for the Metro shell style? I am thinking of buying the Object Desktop bundle, but I am not 100% happy with the few skins I’ve seen. I like Windows 7 very much, but am open to other “skins”.

Can anyone recommend a WindowBlinds skin that is not too flashy or weird?

I use StartIsBack for $5

Does it offer anything that http://www.classicshell.net/ doesn’t cover?

Neither of these change the “skin” of Windows 10 though. Metro is too high contrast. I find it strenuous to look at.

All of the colors are customizable and could easily be set to something which reduces contrast though.

You can change the “accent color”, and change the “app mode” to “dark”. Or choose an even higher contrast mode. That’s all that you can “easily” do.

Remember how back on XP/W7 you could easily set the colour for every element in the UI.
Wonder why they got rid of that.

Welp, I fucked up. Attempting to maximize laziness I moved my old boot drive to the new system… and found out I was using an upgraded volume license from college. Now Windows refuses to activate. My question – the rep I spoke to said the volume licenses were a special version of Pro and I’d have to do a full reinstall once I get a key. Is that true or can I plug in any old Win 10 Pro key and be fine?

You’ll need a valid key anyway, right? So buy one and see if it works. It’s only $22. If not, you can reinstall Win10 on top of itself, tell it to skip the key during the install, then activate once you’re up and running.

Yea, might as well. I’ve got an extra Home key so was hoping to avoid that (in part because I ended up on some other listing where the keys were twice as much).

If you have an extra key, why would you buy another one? Just plug it in and see if it works.

It’s not a key so much as “the system came with Home installed, so if I have to start from scratch I’ll just use that drive”. The plan was to throw the new, Home drive in my old system for a friend.

The windows 10 “digital entitlement” is tied to the specific computer when you upgrade it from an earlier version of windows or activate Win10 on that computer with a win 7/8/8.1 key. There is no way to transfer that specific digital license to another computer.

If you have a windows 7/8/8.1 key for your old computer, you can use that to activate windows 10 on your new computer. If you don’t have a key you’ll need to pay the $22 for your new computer.

Your old system should still be fully activated-- install Win10 and skip inputting the key during the install, boot it up with no key at all, connect to the internet, and it should show as activated.

Are the Win 10 activation servers down? I haven’t been able to verify my Win 10 install since I tried late yesterday evening.

That’s weird. There’s no cryptic error code?

Give phone activation a shot. I don’t know if it works with win 7/8/8.1 keys, but it’s worth trying.

To answer my original question: An upgraded volume license transferred to a new system can be activated with a Pro key. So the rep I spoke to was not only a jerk but also full of shit.