Windows 10

ASUS USB-AC68 USB Wireless Adapter connecting to a Netgear Nighthawk X6 router. I have the latest drivers/firmware for both.

The Creators Update had gone without a hitch on my Insider test system (slow ring), but was stuck at 0% install for days on my regular use Windows 10. So tonight I did some testing and found that disabling auto-protect on Norton Security allowed the update to roll through. It updated smoothly and I’m back in with no visible hitches. Odd, because both systems have Norton Security on them.

The CU brought my sound levels waaaaaay down, it seems to have gone away after 3 driver reinstalls and 5 or 6 restarts. I don’t have the first idea why, it’s just Realtek sound with no frills.

I sorta had that issue, but CU basically installs default drivers for your stuff.

I reinstalled my Creative drivers, but didn’t realize that the Creative settings defaulted to 5.1 speakers for my SoundBlaster Z card, and I’m rocking a 2.1 system.

Once I switched the settings to stereo speakers, everything was peachy.

From what I’m hearing there’s a general issue with Realtek USB adapters that the networking team is aware of. There is a block in place to prevent people from getting the Creators Update if that’s the case.

Did you force the upgrade or did Windows Update offer it to you? Hopefully not the latter if you do have a Realtek USB adapter, since that would mean the block didn’t work properly.

If you do ever try the update again and still have the same issue, please let me know which driver you’re using. From Device Manager, go to properties for the network adapter, driver tab, and let me know the driver version.

I “forced” it, I guess (I google searched for the upgrade, which pointed me to the Upgrade Assistant on the Microsoft site, which I ran), but I’m happy to wait and it’s great to see this is a known issue. Thanks for looking into it!

Is there any way to have an ‘always on’ VPN connection in Windows 10?

I have to manually connect each boot/wake, and check every now and again to make sure it’s not fallen over.

Setup the VPN on your router, not on your desktop.

Router doesn’t support it, which is why I’m asking about the OS. I’d love to, but would need a new router and a modem.

A new router, but not a new modem. You can put your current one in bridge mode.

I don’t trust anything at the desktop level. Always go to the network level, which renders it logically impossible to route to the internet bypassing the VPN.

Hmm ok, I could probably figure that out - could you recommend a good wireless router that supports VPN client?

I would probably pick up the Wirecutter’s pick, the Archer C7 and flash Gargoyle firmware on it.

Thanks! My current Modem/router is an Archer also. How does the Gargoyle firmware compare to the DD-WRT ones?

Same sort of thing, but it’s more highly regarded these days. If you’re familiar with DD-WRT the C7 supports that too, and it will also run an openVPN client.

Ever since the windows 10 creators update I have had an occasional problem. When windows boots up, only my primary monitor is active. Rebooting seems to fix it. Is this a known issue? Is there a real fix for this?

The CU update replaces your drivers. Maybe you need to re-install the latest version of your graphics driver?

Yeah, and it resets the option to not update drivers via windows update too. Bastards.

Cool, Creator’s Update wrecked my ability to see USB 3.0 hard drives. That was horrifying for a hot minute.

No idea how to fix, but no time to fuck with it now. Hooray Windows 10 -.-

Maybe there should be a LTSB version for home users that do not want to act as guinea pigs?

Messed up my ability to see my mouse (a G700S) when plugged in; it worked fine when operating wirelessly. Had to uninstall the driver (which had switched to “generic”) and then reinstall while plugged in (via “look for hardware changes”). I don’t know if that will help you, but I was getting quite aggravated until I figured out my solution.