Windows 10

TLDR = Home users can tweak the registry
Pro/Enterprise can use Group Policy

Yeah, I figure I’m looking at some kinda driver fuckery, but I’m trying to finish writing the session I’m running of an RPG today and don’t really have the time to dig around and figure out if USB COMPOSITE CONTROLLER ALPHA or USB HUB DEVICE THETA-GAMMA-12 is what’s fucked by this particular Microsoft adventure in frustration.

That’s a fun activity for later in the day! HOORAY

(Real fun: USB 3.0 works in general, as my wireless adapter still functions back there)

Well, for most people that’s what I said above: Don’t force the update, let it come to you when Microsoft pushes it.

How many people here are having problems after waiting for Microsoft to push the update instead of rushing to install it right away?

Crap - it’s game day for me, too. While I’m not GM, I’m now anticipating a whole bunch of complaints when I arrive this afternoon, lol.

Isn’t it randomly who is selected to get the first wave of patches? But yea, if you force it, you’ll be hit by some issue probably. On Win8.1 I am now using the Update Catalog to only get security patches, as normal patches will no longer install correctly - do you have such an option with Win10?

Microsoft created (through all the data gathering) a hardware profile of every user, location, bandwidth, and they select the ‘most compatible’ users to receive the patches, then if everything checks out, they roll it out to more ‘exotic’ hardware, etc?

I actually delayed the update as many days as it would let me schedule it out, but MS pushed it down. So… Me? Heh

raises hand

After 3 hours of troubleshooting last weekend, I gave up and reinstalled Windows. And no, I hadn’t been doing any unofficial tweaking of my system.

No forcing the update here, and have had no issues. Just had to revert all the settings that MS changed on me.

Generally fixable by installing MB drivers. In fact, I think I’ll hop over to Intel today and see if anything gets picked up.

It’s not random. It’s deployed based on system characteristics, hardware compatibility, currently installed drivers for that hardware, known software compatibility issues, and many other factors.

Of course, if you disable telemetry and prevent any of that inventory data from going to Microsoft, you’re more likely to have issues since you may get it for a device that it otherwise wouldn’t have rolled out to yet. Same goes for if you run other various and unofficial tweak tools to change how windows update works, or which change other settings.

Oh, snap!

Lucky me I never did any of those tweaks or changes, but I still got bit. But hey, nothings perfect!

I installed right away as it coincided with a hardware upgrade. But mine was a full fresh install on a formatted drive, not an update. No problems.

Good topic for a poll.
But no, I took it when it was recommended and had no problems.
Win 10 has always made me nervous, and I only have it because my new rig came with it, but while I’m still nervous, it hasn’t caused me any trouble at all yet. In fact, I’ve been rather pleased. So far. Then again, it’s primarily a gaming rig, so maybe that helps. My needs are simple.

It definitely sucks that some of you had problems despite doing nothing out of the ordinary. But I know that plenty of people here have talked about doing nonstandard things right in this thread, so I always feel like asking when people do have problems :-)

BUILD day 2 is here with a bunch of updates for Windows.

OneDrive placeholders are finally returning in a way more integrated into the OS itself, instead of just the shell, with some additional functionality from the placeholders from Windows 8.1:

New app “Story Remix” shows not just a bunch of ways to edit your photos and videos into a “story”, but also how 3D objects can be seamlessly mapped and attached to 2D objects:

Windows 10 Cloud-based clipboard - integrated into iOS and Android via the SwiftKey keyboard:

New / updated design language explained:

iTunes coming to the Windows Store via Centennial:

Linux distros coming to the Windows Store too:

“Timeline” shows you a history of apps / documents you’ve used, and it works via Cortana on iOS and Android devices to pick up right from where you left off:

All the continuity stuff makes a lot of sense for the new Microsoft-- Apple did this a couple years ago, but being Apple they kept it to themselves. The rest is no big whoop, but they do two of these a year so you can’t expect huge changes every time.

I wonder if iTunes will be the current desktop app or if Apple is re-writing it as a UWP app.

Odds are it’s the former. But imagine all the unhappy fanboys if Apple wrote a new iTunes for Windows, when the Mac version is universally derided.

It’s the full version of iTunes.