Windows 10

So I guess now is a good time to get a Mac.

Sure, if you want a Mac :) I upgraded my desktop and my laptop to the Windows 10 CU last night. Both went flawlessly.

If you aren’t a gamer, absolutely get a mac. I’m very happy with mine.

Just got the Creators Update. My laptop brightness is stuck at 100%. After trying a number of alleged solutions nothing works. Any ideas @LMN8R?

Edit: Thank god for color schemes in Discourse.

I had two friends have that happen to them. They never got control of brightness back, although one did get it “stuck” at a lower level of brightness by reinstalling his display drivers.

Yeah. After spending most of the day trying to fix it, all I know is that it’s a common issue.

Edit: This is so goddamn annoying. I have my laptop in the livingroom. My wife likes to watch TV on the couch. I’ll hit up various websites. I turn the light off at night and turn town my brightness. Thusly we coexist. Not tonight or any night until someone fixes this bullshit.

No one answered, so I forced the update. Now I sit here typing from a mobile device while googling how to put out electrical fires.

Okay, maybe not. The upgrade went without a hitch, much faster than estimated, and so far, so good. Based on free disk space left (and not having removed Windows.old yet), most of the upgrade must have already been sitting there waiting.

Paging @LMN8R yet again.

I think the fix will depend on your OEM/manufacturer. I had the opposite problem where Lenovo display drivers would auto-dim too aggressively unless I adjusted the MS setting with Anniversary Update.

Jaysis. Microsoft gently touched my machine this morning, informing me that Important Updates were happening and that This Will Take A While.

One of those statements was unequivocally correct.

But hey, I finally got to my desktop! Woo!

…and the machine went totally unresponsive after loading an Edge window to tell me about how great it was that we’ve always been at war with Eastasia. Well, there was a tiny window of responsiveness, sort of, where moving my mouse made “boop” sounds while moving the pointer. That was fun.

Once a blank command shell window opened (machine still unresponsive) I decided to hell with this and restarted. And now things appear to be working?

I was tickled by the big topline “here’s what’s great about these Important Updates!” and it was three things I couldn’t possibly give less of a shit about: some mail program, the Edge browser, and something else I’ve already forgotten because it will never impact my life.

Nice work!

Been meaning to ask, how quickly does 10 start up for people compared to 7? It is taking forever for me, but I’m not sure how much of that is updates and how much is the data not being cached on my ssd. I used to get to a login prompt in 7 in about 10-12 seconds.

Pretty quick? I haven’t timed it lately, but I’m at a login prompt within 15 seconds for sure.

Nowadays I have to wait an extra 3-4 seconds for my USB card to initialize, since my mobo USB ports started acting up and so my kb/mouse are connected to this PCI card. But yeah, it’s not bad.

Since the only times my PC has restarted since installing 10 ~1.5 years ago are mandatory updates and a couple of power outages, I literally have no idea. But I think it’s pretty slow, mostly on account of the 40-goddamn-million USB devices I’ve got plugged in.

Cool, thanks for the responses. I think it has everything to do with the data not being nicely cached on my ssd anymore in a nice big block. I haven timed it, but it is well over a minute. I’ve been happy with my SRT setup to this point, but I am looking forward to getting some m2 drives when I pull the trigger on a new build, eventually.

After the Creator’s Update, it is booting faster than ever (I haven’t timed it though…). I honestly thought something was hosed by how quick it started up - probably just shows how cluttered I had the older build, and the upgrade helped clean things up.

Aren’t SSDs designed for random access in general?

Yes, don’t defrag your SSD. Windows 10 should boot in under 10 seconds on a SSD, if it takes longer something is wrong.

Didn’t say I was going to and you didn’t read what I actually wrote. Windows isn’t installed on the ssd. It is set up to cache the HD. The point is that when it was a fresh win 7 install, all the most-used Windows info was presumably neatly ordered on the ssd and has been for 5 years. Now, it’s a combination of stuff not being cached or being all over the place (on both the HD and ssd)

No, you actually said “I think it has everything to do with the data not being nicely cached on my ssd anymore in a nice big block.” No mention of your magnetic storage there. It doesn’t matter if it’s contiguous if it’s on the SSD. If it’s not cached on the SSD that’s another matter of course.

So, there’s zero impact of non-sequential reads? Go look at any SSD review from a site like Anandtech. Why do they show massive differences between sequential read times and random read times? For instance:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4863/the-samsung-ssd-830-review/2

Does that only apply to copying massive files? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.