Windows 10

It’s pretty personal to call or compare someone to an anti-vacc person who clearly isn’t, and it’s also an asshole thing to. The fact it went there is unfortunate, but it’s not like those who responded to it were the ones that brought it to that level in the first place.

Back to Windows…

I’m nobody, but thanks for the mea culpa. I’ve enjoyed most of the posts here, including yours. No one should come after you personally here at all. It’s dumb for them to do that.

You made it personal. That is one of the most insulting things anyone has said to me in recent memory. I don’t think I’ve told anyone off like that in over ten years on the forum. I don’t have a hair trigger.

You had the opportunity to apologize and chose to stand by your statement with “I’m sorry you were offended”. And your latest “in retrospect, I must say that was a regrettable turn of phrase” wishy-washy statement doesn’t really cut it either.

My copy of Windows 7 hasn’t been updated since December 2015. It’s not for lack of trying, it’s just that every-time I press the “update” button it instead tries to download and install Windows 10, which is something I can’t stop it doing no matter what I try :( I guess I’ll soon be WannaCrying… (I disabled SMBv1, hopefully that helps)

Also, Windows Update is completely shagged on that computer. Whenever it first boots it just pegs one of the cores to 100% and I have to kill svchost to stop my fan going nuts. It never does anything useful either, just wastes CPU cycles doing ???.

And then Windows 10 on my laptop? I tried to update it after this WannaCry stuff hit the news, but I noticed I had 5 failing updates and it had been doing that for a week. After an hour (or two hours?) of trying random stuff from forums*, it worked! I think in the end using disk cleanup and clearing the temporary system files helped it? Who knows.

• Practically every time I google a specific error code or phrase I end up at some windows forum where the first reply is some completely generic and useless “Do all of these unrelated things, download all of these third party tools, and post all of these unrelated logs please – it’ll only take you 3 hours” and none of it EVER HELPS. I can’t imagine how annoyed the person originally asking the question felt.

Holy fucking shit.

Windows just auto-“updated” my graphics driver with no warning.

So for one thing, my display gamma balance is all fucked now. For another, I just lost display while it removed/installed/rebooted the driver while I was in the middle of some work.

For a third, I appear to be on some generic driver that doesn’t include the somewhat-functional AMD package I use to control things like crossfire functionality.

Not enough fuck-yous. Jesus Christ. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here.

Raaaaaaaaage.

There’s an option to turn that off. That option isn’t logically placed (like, I don’t know, the Windows Update settings page), but it’s there.

I had to remember to go change that option back after the Creator’s Update forced a complete reinstall of the OS on me. :)

Yeah, that was the first goddamn thing I did that I shouldn’t have bloody well had to.

Yeah, some common sense version checking and not overwriting your shiny new display driver with the one from literally a year or more ago would be smart for MS. But, instead, stupidity.

You see that on earlier versions of windows as well, it will recommend driver updates that are older. I guess it fails on some meta-data checks, or the data added to windows update lacks information to make an “informed decision”, or it is just based on “Do you have this driver installed, or the previous one we supplied, if not, then well install it”.

I’ve yet to press the “info” button on any driver updates from Windows Update and get to a web page that tells you what it actually contains, I guess that is up to each hardware vendor to supply information about through some special file in the driver or something, and they never bother to do that.

http://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-US/Hardware/support/default.aspx is the only page I get when I request information on:

Hence I’ve never trusted it to update any drivers (Currently recommending drivers for INtel System, Intel System, Nvidia Display and OCZ Storage) as there is no information on what any of the updates are.

Where, please.

• Control Panel | System and Security | System
  • Advanced System Settings
  • Hardware tab
  • Device installation settings
  • Click “No” on “Do you want to automatically download manufacturers’ apps and custom icons available for your device?” (I know, totally sounds like driver downloads, huh!).

Like! I mean, +1! I mean, you go, grill.

Oh, hell. 👍

Any other notable settings that are recommended to change?

Oh fuck me, Win10 updated today and fucked itself into a Preparing Automatic Repair boot loop…

Tried the unplug all USB devices trick suggested online for “stuck black screen spinning wheel after update” issues, but no dice. Hopeful a Startup Repair will fix it (gotta wait for gf to get home to make bootable media using her laptop), otherwise looks like full system reset is the only other option.

But remember, disallowing these fuck ass automatic updates is a crime on par with letting kids die of polio.

Oh that sucks @ArmandoPenblade. I am sorry that happened to you. I guess my permanent messed up Windows Search problem (previous update) and multiple reboots to get third party stuff working (this update) pales in comparison.

Oh for the love of

Bootable USB (found the one I installed 10 off of 1.5 years ago) gets stuck at a blank purple screen with a cursor on it. Left it for 10m with no change. USB stick not flashing from use. Wtf

edit: after 20m, it got to an actual install screen. chose startup repair. it thought about it a few minutes then told me that it was having a bluescreen error to do with ntfs.sys and rebooted itself. bang up job on the startup repair, win10.

downloading fresh win10 files for new bootable media. maybe the old one doesnt like my up to date 10.

AND WE’RE BACK

By random chance, I elected to reboot one more time. This time, no “Preparing Automated Repair” message, just a black screen, blue windows logo, and a spinning circle of white dots. Obviously having time to kill, I let that spin in the background while fucking with my new install media (holy balls the process for acquiring an ISO of Win10 Ed edition is obnoxious).

And eventually, the message "SCANNING DRIVE E: (100%)* flashed underneath the white spinning circle for half a second, then the screen went black for two minutes, and then Windows booted as though nothing had ever fucking happened.

Incredible.

Just. . . incredible.

* Yes, I have no fewer than four internal drives on this machine, so even with all USB shit unplugged, there was still an E: drive to scan.

Leaving a USB drive plugged in destroyed my install of the anniversary update. I guess it’s not limited to USB.

I honestly didn’t realize this referred to drivers. I took it at face value and thought it was just the fancy icons in device manager for your mouse and keyboard and crap. I’ve also luckily never been bit by MS installing bad/wrong things to force me to look. Changed now though!