Windows 10

Yep. Rebooting to reinstall my motherboard chipset drivers AGAIN, same behavior. That drive had become increasingly flaky the last few weeks, and I never turn my computer off if I can help it. My guess is that at some point it bit the dust quietly, and upon boot, windows is running checkdisk without asking if I want to, except it’s bugging out and not telling me this for the entire 20+ minute scan. Letting it sit and spin again to confirm, then I’ll have to figure out which one’s dead (I’ve got two ancient, identical 640gb drives in there for backup, so figuring out which one corresponds to E: will be fun) and unplug it.

So delightfully stupid

disabling dead drive immediately fixes boot issues. I really wish Windows would actually report this.

Also, now installed AHCI and Rapid Storage and chipset drivers from mobo manufacturer and USB 3.0 hard-drives still aren’t seen by Windows 10 anymore, ever since the Creator’s Update broke them a month ago.

Fuck and shit, bro. I’m gonna go eat my feelings instead of fucking with this nonsense anymore. @LMN8R all fury and rage aside on my part, if you have any advice on how to make Win10 see USB 3.0 hard drives again (they work fine on USB 2.0, and other USB 3.0 devices work just fine), I’d love to know :(

I upgraded to Creator’s update a few days ago and have had zero issues.

Shocking, I know!

Wow. I hope I find that Phantom Dust was worth all of this Win10 nonsense.

Lucky for you that you aren’t a white-hat malware researcher who happened to save millions of computers from the WannaCrypt ransomware last week.
https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/865940879261003778

Yeah, UK rags really are terrible. He’s lucky they didn’t hack his voicemail too.

In related news, congrats to all the new grads today!

Good news everyone. I have my brightness control back.

The wife accidentally unplugged my laptop. This of course dropped the brightness down to battery level. This was now too dark for me. So I decided to yet again get the Windows brightness slider back. Device manager>monitor>uninstall>remove driver>check for hardware change. Bam. Brightness slider back. Also my function key brightness app from Asus. This is something that I have done several times with no joy. Did the brightness change to battery level do something? I have to think so as it was the only change. Maybe this will help someone else.

Time for a drink.

Edit: @ArmandoPenblade might this help your friend?

Ever since the latest Windows 10 update I’ve been noticing odd behavior on my machine like BSOD’s and shutting down upon reaching the loading during bootup. Never had issues like this until recently. I had to go over and help dad repair his machine after somehow his got hosed after the update with frequent BSOD’s I think were related to Windows hardware updates.

God damn, Win 7 and fully patched Win XP were the best home OS’s MS ever made. WTF happened?

General Beringer gives his opinion on Windows 10.

Windows 7 remains my favorite OS ever–from the beta preview straight through to the end. That was Microsoft at their best, firing on all cylinders. 7 will always have a welcome place in my heart.

I’ve had Windows 10 not start twice properly since the Update. It fixes itself the second time around but i have no idea what the problem is. It gives me zero information.

All of the weird things about 10 that have cropped up has kept me very comfortable sticking with 8.1. I’ve been seeing no real advantage to upgrading and only possible headaches.

Reports are that Windows 10 Enterprise doesn’t respect the supposedly supported security settings either.

If that is true, that is too funny.

Seeing as all the settings he claims to have been using has been in group policy, I’d be interested to know if his “VM Test Setup” included a domain, or just a ‘stand alone’ Enterprise installation. Probably a bug, but any bad PR regarding Telemetry is a good thing.

It hasn’t been independently verified yet, but Burnett is a pretty credible source.

Very surprising that MS would burn their enterprise customers too.

I don’t think XP will ever be “fully patched”.

Speaking of Phantom Dust, I’ve been trying to add the executable to Steam, but I keep getting permission errors. I also can’t add a desktop shortcut for it; dragging it from the start menu just causes an Explorer crash/restart.

I’ve taken ownership of the file and its parent directories, and I’ve given my account full control in the Security settings. But it still says I don’t have access. Is this just the way it is with apps from the Microsoft Store, or am I doing something wrong?

Something is wrong, you should be able to create desktop shortcuts for UWP apps by dragging them from the start menu.

From my understanding, you do not have full control over any UWP app, but you should at least be able to make a shortcut to the restricted container.

You only tried to steam, or to your desktop, other folders?

He let it auto-update?

Well, he didn’t actually disable telemetry based on the screenshot provided, just the ability for users to fiddle with them in the Settings app, and some app telemetry. He also didn’t mention several policy groups that have implications for sending traffic to MS, so I’m not surprised he saw traffic. Hopefully he catches all that in his re-do.