Windows 10

Yeah he said he missed some smartscreen settings. Hopefully he does redo, because it’s outrageous (and hard to believe) that MS would burn their enterprise customers. Me, obviously I can go sit on a baseball bat, no lube. But not the enterprise.

Stop saying burn. You are not a secret agent.

Burning someone is not limited to spooks. In fact I never heard of that application before Burn Notice. You burn your contractor by not paying him after he fixes your toilet. Very common phrasing.

Uh, no, that’s called stiffing your contractor. Burning your contractor is when you offer him to appease the gods.

Shawn Spencer never lies.

In this case, though, I think stusser has the right of it. I hear it more often in the passive (“I was burned by the stock market”), but there’s no reason it has to be that way.

I thought I’d check here before getting all Googley:

My new Windows 10 PC makes me login every time I boot. I hate that, so I found the “netplwiz” (User account) option and unchecked “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, but I still have to enter a password. I believe the root of the problem is that there are somehow 2 users, both with my same name showing at startup. One of them fails with my password, the other is successful, but there is no difference between the two user names. They are both exactly the same (my name). In Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts there is only one user (me) shown. I’ve tried changing my Microsoft account password, but no change.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Gah! Nevermind! The first Googled hit I tried solved the problem. I just had to re-check, Apply, then uncheck the “…must enter user name and password…” box, then enter my password. Now all is working as expected.

Hey I’m having a small annoyance in Windows 10, maybe someone can help?

When I boot, a command prompt window flashes up briefly, too quick to see what it is. It reappears regularly, say every half hour to an hour.

Anyone know what this might be, or how to find out and stop it? I couldn’t see anything in the event logs.

Check the Task Scheduler.

So it isn’t this?

Lol it very well could be, that’ll teach me for not reading the thread properly!

Is it safe to disable this task, or make it run less frequently?

Or I see a recommendation to change the two tasks to run under the ‘System’ group, rather than ‘Users’, which hides the popup.

I never had any problems crop up after disabling the task, but I haven’t been using Office heavily lately or anything.

Confirmation that office is the culprit (from the guy who killed Wannacry):

I found the best way to launch the most recent office is to have a ‘batch’ file that launches all the shitty processes and services it requires to work (Microsoft Office CLick to Contact Microsofty every few minutes and whatnot…), and as soon as I close Outlook/Word/w.e., it shuts those services down, because, at this point: fuck M$.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get Win10 to wake up quicker from sleep?
With my Win7 setup it was a matter of about 4 seconds, now it seems to take about 20 seconds.

Previously it just went straight to the desktop if I wake it up with a double tap of the enter key. With 10 I first see a black screen for a while, then it shows the login page where I have to click the “login” button and THEN get to the desktop.
I’m hoping there are some hidden settings I’m missing and I don’t have to hack around with regedit, but if need be, I’m open to that.

– this is a PC with 16GB Ram and an SSD btw.

That’s strange, waking from sleep is pretty close to instantaneous for me.

Same, it’s instant. Sure you’re not using hibernate instead?

Shouldn’t need to click a login button either, I press space then type my 4 digit pin, and I’m away.

Yup. There’s a thing called hibernate, which is like a deeper sleep. Check in your power settings to make sure it isn’t doing that.