Windows 10

I disabled hibernate a while ago. Seems that it was fucking up somehow and at times I had to cold boot my system, sometimes more than once, to get it up and running. Now I have it set to shut down when closed. It still boots up in seconds when I turn it on.

Well, I’m definitely clicking sleep and not hibernate on the shut down menu. Unless Win10 has decided to override my selection in the background?

Windows 10 does know better than you at all times, that’s true.

Submit, citizen.

There is a setting, usually a default, that transitions from S3 to Hibernate after X amount of time. Even on a desktop.

Numerous times I have tried to disable it but it never works for me, always ends up still going to hibernation. So I just use the powercfg trick and it works.

Hmm… That does sound interesting! I’ll do some testing when I get home later.

Ok, I did check that hibernate setting and that’s not enabled.

I’ve gone through the windows event logs, I’ve double checked my bios, drivers. Tried disabling all services in msconfig.

Starting to feel like I’ll have to live with it, but its REALLY irritating, since I was so used to starting up instantaneously in Win7 & now have to wait 20sec every time I wake it.

So the exact order if events is as follows:

My screen turns on & shows a black / blank image.
I hear my drives / fans spin up
Win10 landscape slide shows up - I hit a key,
blue Win10 password / sign in screen shows up (don’t have a password setup, so I just hit enter)
then I get to see the desktop.

Curious about the drives spinning up, guess the next step would be to disconnect those & see if that makes a difference (keeping the system SSD obviously)

Any other thoughts and suggestions?
@Gendal - what was that powercfg trick you mentioned?

From an elevated command prompt type:
powercfg /h off

That’s the only way I have been able to turn off hibernate reliably. The gui never works for me.

Ah… ok, thanks. That wasn’t a problem for me.

To be clear I can turn it off in the GUI and it shows off. But it still hibernates. Hence needing to use powercfg. Definitely try it if you haven’t.

Also note powercfg has a few different switches like /systemsleepdiagnostics that may be helpful.

My drives spin up for all sorts of goofy shit, @Cormac. If I click a link from Pidgin (installed on my C: drive SSD) that opens in Firefox (also installed on that same SSD), it has to spin up my external HDDs for some goddamn retarded reason before actually opening the link.

Other items that spin up all drives include opening the start menu and booting the PC up in the first place. I don’t use Sleep, so can’t confirm that behavior.

Maybe totally off base, but do you possibly have a disc in an optical drive?

Thanks, I did try it! And unfortunately nothing changed…
Have looked at powercfg report and nothing jumps out at me, but then I’m not THAT well versed in system speak!

And nope, no optical drive at all.

I think we discussed this here before but Search-fu is not up to par today. I lost some work because I put Windows to Sleep and went to bed only to wake up seeing it rebooted by itself. I suspect Windows Update must have installed some stuff when I was asleep. Really irritating to see lost of productivity! Does that mean I have to save my state every night?

Yes, unless you turn it off with winaero tweaker.

Okay, this bugs me. Does no one save their work on a regular basis? Maybe I am just paranoid, but I save a file multiple times and usually save it under different draft names.

Now, I usually use only word and Excel, but I got into this habit of saving often with Windows XP for fear of not just Windows, but also power outages and personal clumsiness.

I do try to remember but sometimes I forget and that was the one time :(
Also, I lost all the opened web pages but luckily Chrome restored them when it detected a “crash”

Yeah, I hear you. I certainly have lost my fair of data, including a large part of my thesis once, which is why I am so paranoid.

Again, my use case is usually word, which has auto save function, and takes up little room. Not all programs are as friendly though.

I definitely feel Windows is at fault here. The PC is sleep mode, for goodness sake! One wouldn’t expect it to wake up, update itself and reboot! That’s truly intrusive!

It is Windows 10. "We know best, give us access to your files… "

I try to save work regularly all the time. In fact, most the applications I use auto-save over a fairly short period of time. I don’t expect my PC to dump my data in the middle of the night though unless it actually crashed. Win 10 forced restarts doing that would piss me off too.