Windows 10

I’ve had intermittent problems with waking from sleep mode after the update.

Old indian trick. Try drinking two glasses of water before you go to bed at night.

I got the Creators Update this Sunday, and once a again, my computer is auto-rebooting for patches. Every fucking time I need to deal with this issue. So I google this, and it says to go to the task scheduler --> update orchestrator and disable the reboot task.

Well I go there and it already IS disabled. Under the triggers, there is an entry for when my computer rebooted itself tonight.

With this new major update, how do I disable auto reboots for patches? I fucking hate microsoft.

It’s more than just disabling the trigger. You need to do this stuff.

My wife’s 5 year old Lenovo computer has never been the same since being upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It’s slow as hell and just generally unresponsive. I’ve done virus scans and nothing comes up so it doesn’t seem to be virus related. I want to nuke the whole thing from orbit and do a clean install using Windows 10’s reset function. Should that be a fairly painless experience? When my wife bought the computer it came with a pre-installed version of Microsoft Office. If I do a reset that will be gone with no way to get it back, right? (other than buying a new license, of course).

If Office is associated with your Microsoft account you should be able to go to http://www.office.com/setup and reinstall it after authenticating. Otherwise, check for a product sticker with a key somewhere-- it may have come with your computer. You can also contact Lenovo support of course.

I know Win 7 is going out of support and all but isn’t it better to restore from a factory setting? You get Win 7, the speed for an older machine and Office remains intact. I would do that.

If you have the OEM restore image you could do that and then upgrade to Win10, sure.

If the machine is already activated on Win10 the activation servers will remember it.

I’d do a complete clean install. Nuke the partitions, use the media creation tool, and start with Windows 10 1709 from scratch.

But that’s just me.

I guess one of the options is to go back to the factory state. That would put it back to Windows 7, right? One thing that concerns me is if I did a clean install then I would lose all the drivers specific to the laptop. It’s a Japanese OS so I don’t want to have to go trawling the internet looking for something that will make the special function keys work properly.

And all that will prevent auto reboots, not just waking for patches? I have the entire reboot task disabled (it has been for over a year) and yet it auto rebooted.

Yes, it’s not just disabling the task it’s also changing permissions on it.

The reinstallation process is painless, but I’m not sure about what would happen to Office.

I just did it for my wife’s little netbook. We haven’t played with it much though.

Why is MS the only tech company that can’t get their shit together with updates? It’s such a cluster fuck of endless reboots, failed updates, rollbacks and reboots again. Fuck me.

Wait, have you ever used an Android phone?

Every god damn day I get a message from the windows 10 sidebar message thingie, that there is something affecting my batterys living - I press the damn link, and it tells me, that my screens brightness is set to 100 percent. IT IS NOT! IT IS SET TO 75! how difficult is it for windows to NOT tell me this, EVERY DAMN DAY?!?! Its incredible.

Never had an android device fuck up an update.

That’s because you can’t get updates from most Android devices. They just leave you unsecure and stunted.

Anyway, I am sorry you are having this shit happen to you. With over 500 million devices out there, with who knows how many different types and models of components, it’s not a surprise that it just crapped out on you both. I hope you can both get it working again.

That being said, I am surprised this hasn’t happened to me. I have 2 old labtops and an even older desktop, and all seem to working with Windows 10 no worse then there were with Windows 7.

Huh? What are you talking about? I get updates on my android phone all the time? Its a Samsung S7. It IS the responsibility of the manufacturer, that is correct.

Some of us go for midtier or low end phones, so are happy to see Security updates only 2 or 3 months behind. I won’t see Android O on the phone I currently have.

Luckily, Windows 10 doesn’t rely on the manufacturer but instead provides the updates to everyone, even older computers. It’s because they realize that most manufacturers can’t be trusted to keep their products up to date or secure so take it out of there hands. I wish Google would do that with Android.