Windows 10

reminder: dec31 is the cut off for the accessibility upgrade. not sure if it will stop accepting win7/8 keys on clean usb/dvd/iso upgrades.

this happens a lot. fucking up the encryption and wiping all the data.

You’re on crack, sir.

Never ever had a problem with any android or Blackberry device I’ve owned. Have had lots of issues with MS updates after they decided they wanted to become Apple.

That said, Android has a big issue in that a large % (40+) of the devices are not running any of the most recent versions, with only a tiny percentage on 7.x and even smaller on 8.x

I have always had a few issues with older Android phones, but it’s mostly that most manufacturers won’t support there phone for longer than two years. If you have an older Android phone, take a look at About in Settings. It should let you which version of Android you are on, which of the monthly security patches have been applied. My old Axon Pro (came out early in 2015) was only patched up to June of 2016, and received no other security patches.

My wife’s Asus Zenfone 2 Laser (about the same age) was patched up to December of 2016 or so. It’s one of the big reasons we upgraded. You don’t get 10 years with Android, and I would be surprised if even Samsung gave you more then 3 years on your phone.

Security and Battery life are two areas that Apple had Android beat hands down. My feeling is that MS doesn’t want Windows to fall into the same unsupported hole that Android is currently in.

Galaxy S6, November 2017 security patch.

Also, ten years of support? What world do you live in that you think that is a legitimate request?

Honestly, check out Windows. They supported the operating system for about 10 years each. Hell, look how long XP was supported for.

And that was a mistake.

It was far past time that creaky shit pile should have been put to pasture for many reasons. Great at the time does not mean that it should be supported to infinity.

haha, yes - sorry about the yelling.

But with Android, since the OEM is responsible for updates, few if any give more then a year or so of support, forcing you to upgrade to keep the phone secure.

Then don’t buy them?

I’m waiting for you to arrive at an actual point.

Edit - To be less snarky, I just pointed out that my over two and a half years old phone has damn near the most recent security update. With Oreo it’s obvious that Google is intending and working on making os and security updates both easier for oems to implement or users to straight up install themselves. So I’m very confused what exactly the problem is other than a general irritation that there is no such thing as perfect in the world.

Unfortunately, it’s not financially viable for me to spend more then 200 or so dollars on a phone. So, I can’t afford a Samsung Device, nor do I particular like the way Samsung set up their device.

With a Windows device, the device will be updated whether I spend 200 dollars or 2000. With Android, you must pay a premium for basic security, which is starting to be a problem.

My point is having to deal with Windows updates is a far cry better then the lack of support you get with most OEMs and Android. And considering what kind of trouble an unsecured PC can cause, I prefer MS taking a heavy handed approach.

I don’t know if this was posted upthread, but has anyone here used WPD?

Ok, I used the MediaCreation Tool to create a new bootable USB. How reliable is Win10’s in-place upgrade option if I go this route?

Coming from Win 10 x64 1511. Will I need to re-install all my apps, or is it pretty good that way now? It claims it is anyway… I have a bunch of installed I’d really rather not download again if I can avoid it.

Anyone done it?

And it generally works fine, should I still at least uninstall low hanging fruit that is easy to re-install post upgrade - malware-bytes, mouse/keyboard software, DisplayFusion, Greenshot, F.lux, etc, etc.

Or just roll the dice?

Well, I’ve done only in-place upgrades and had no major issues. And that seems to be the case for the majority of people, from what I’ve read. But you just never know if you’re going to be one of those minority cases. I’d say make sure your backups are up to date, and go for it.

Cheers!

No need to uninstall them more important to disable automatic startup

A lot of Android fanbois in this Windows 10 thread.