Windows 10

You could just get the Fulla Schiit, plug the 1/8th inch variable output into your Z680s, and then plug your headphones into the headphone jack. Don’t use your motherboard’s sound at all, and only adjust volume with the knob on top of the Fulla Schiit. It will automatically mute the preamp output when you plug in your headphones.

Of you could plug the 1/8th inch fixed output into your Z680s, and then you’d use the volume knob on your speakers when audio goes through the speakers, and the knob on the Fulla with headphones. That would work too.

God, I love that name. Fulla Schiit.

This has confirmed a lot of my personal suspicions/experiences about Windows 8/10 being harder to use at a very basic level than Windows 7. Further, I played around in Object Desktop on a Windows 10 VM, but still haven’t found a skin I’m happy with. Luckily, I don’t have to use Windows 10 every day.

Windows 7 4lyfe until 2020.

is this for newbie users or expert users? i’m no less efficient in windows 10. microsoft has half-assed it by making some things exist only in legacy control panel and are absent in their tiletown metro equivalents. also too much white space and too thin of a typeface makes for poor usability as well.

This has nothing to do with the Start screen or control panel. It’s about the visual design of forms, buttons, text input, headers, window borders, etc. as well as white space and typeface as you mentioned.

Had some fun this morning with a non-functional PC. Black screen, rebooted, Windows wouldn’t start. Coincidence that this happened shortly after I started trying to use sleep mode again? I think not.

I got things working again with a system restore from the recovery menu, going back to the last automatic backup from a week ago. I was surprised at how smoothly that part went. Hopefully it stays good when the last week’s worth of updates are re-applied.

I don’t think that was ever really in-doubt. That’s why iOS7 had such a huge backlash, lots of people simply couldn’t tell where the buttons were located. Both Apple and Microsoft have been backing away from flat designs ever since. Google never fell into the trap, their material design was a direct repudiation of flat design.

I’m not a fan of the flat/metro style interfaces. I don’t think I’m slower at using them, necessarily, but I find I very much use borders/chrome to spatially separate things out. The trend towards just having toolbars/menus jump direct to content drives me nuts. This was really bad when Win10 first came out, and the window borders were white just like everything else.

Metro mainly bothers me on PC. On a phone it’s not that bad. (Or, all phone GUIs are somewhat flat, so it’s hard to say one is better than another.)

Today, sure. IOS11 has tons of depth and usage hints. It wasn’t like that back in iOS7.

Material design is a direct repudiation of skeuomorphism. It’s too similar to flat design to be any sort of repudiation of it.

Material design is not at all flat, not even slightly. It repudiates both skeumorphism and flat design.

The mobile-UI that they force you into using in so many places in Windows X is terrible. Not to mention that it feels like you get ‘less’ options/information per screen than what you had in the good old Windows UI.

Flat and Material design are both founded on solid colors and simple geometric shapes. Yes, Google has generated voluminous documentation on Z layers and animations and calls to action and bla bla bla, but to the casual observer the actual difference between the two is hair-splitting at best. Oooh, drop shadows, totally different.

Claiming that Material is “not even slightly” like flat design just makes you sound like a crazy person. Pretty much every article on the subject acknowledges the deep similarities between the two.

The difference between a flat UI and one with drop shadows and Z depth is enormous. One is flat, the other isn’t.

I have to say that Android is pretty flat too.

Yep, I found Material design to be a major step backward from where they were before because it felt too flat. I mean, I appreciate that they took measures to keep it from going too far down that hole. . . but not nearly far enough in my book.

The default button style in Material is literally called ‘flat’. It looks like text until you mouse over it.
https://material-components-web.appspot.com/button.html

You’re wrong on this one stusser. Material is very very flat design style.

When you press it, it highlights. When you move elements around, they have Z-depth, they exist against a reference point. OBVIOUSLY material is pretty flat, but it has tons of UI hints so people don’t get confused. That’s where iOS7 really failed.

Remember back when flat was popular, people were talking about completely repudiating skeumorphism, completely clean digital interfaces, no transparencies, no depth, solid colors, no gradients, tons of white space and zero ornamentation. IOS7 was the embodiment of that, and it was really confusing to use for many people.

Windows 10 has been popping up a message for about a month asking me if I wanted to update now, tonight, or tomorrow. I kept saying tomorrow.

One day I wasn’t at the computer, apparently, and it started updating. Took a long time, then I get an error box with a red x saying it couldn’t install certain (something.) It tried to restore the previous version. Had a problem with that. After two or three reboots, I fortunately got my old version restored.

I’ve tried to avoid the update since then, but last night it did it on it’s own again, and I got the same problem.

I don’t think I can avoid the update, but has anyone seen this problem and know a fix?

Thanks

They opened the floodgates on the Creator’s Update this week.

Need more details on what’s causing your error, but for now
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors