Windows 10

Yeah an iPad is not a computer and it’s a bad suggestion.

My Mom has been using a Chromebook for years now and she’s been doing fine.

Windows 10 Update removes traditional Display Settings from the Control Panel. You’re resigned to use the horrid Win 10 system settings.

An existing Win 10 user just had the update hit and it lowered their resolution to 1024. The Display settings wouldn’t allow resolution change. Had to uninstall the graphics device (Integrated Intel HD), reboot, reboot again in safe mode as the display came up solid black 'Even on remote support connect, it was online, but solid black display!), send a command to reboot in Safe Mode, then reboot again normally and it finally seems to be OK.

Windows 7 was so stable for so long. Windows 10 brings me back to the crappy Win XP days of divining bizarre Windows behavior and driver support.

So are random reboots a symptom of the specter and meltdown patches? It seems to happen only when my machine is sitting idle and never when actively being used.

I’ve also noticed that a cumulative update () always fails to install. According to the Windows 10 reliability monitor, this patch has been unsuccessfully trying to install itself since January 29.

I’ve been having 1-2 a week since I got a big patch (I think maybe Creator’s?) early this year. Same as you said: I leave my PC idle for a few hours, come back, and it’s rebooted, no notice about installing patches or anything, just gone off and come back up. Very annoying.

I agree the ipad is not a real computer, but it’s a better solution than a computer for many people. If all you do is browse the internet, social media, and email, the ipad is your best choice. Maybe with a keyboard case.

If you can stand Apple software, and you want a tablet, then sure.

What’s a com—… no, I can’t. Anyway, tablets have a requisite smaller interface, keyboard case or not. Different-aged fingers and eyes need to be accommodated for.

Damn it!! Need to go to bed as I’m hopping on a plane tomorrow morning for a 20hr flight to Australia.
Just wanted to quickly burn a CD (don’t ask) before I call it a day. However Microsoft in all their wisdom decided NOW IS THE TIME IT NEEDS TO INSTALL A NEW VERSION OF WIN 10.

Been sitting here for about 90min and its 1am. F***.
Really don’t need this crap now (though still better than if it happened at the airport tomorrow I guess)

I don’t know why people don’t set the active hours in settings and perform patches on patch tuesday every month and instead leave it up to random days.

patch tuesday this month nearly hosed our vmware running hosts’ virtual network adapters as well as workstations’ network adapters, caused by a security fix or two.

Yeah, it also disabled SMB 1.0, which broke Kodi access to my fileshares. Never a full moment from MS.

I didn’t even know patch Tuesday was a thing, is that just for the US or everywhere?
It could at least warn me or give a time frame within which I need to update my system, not just do it.
Anyway, this is nothing new, I know! Timing just sucked… I gave up at the end and the update finished at 4am I think.

Patches come out every second Tuesday and SMB v1 was a big security risk and recommended to be disabled for over a year.

SMB v1 is disabled by default since the fall creator’s update in 2017. I deliberately enabled it via the add/remove windows features UI because Kodi still requires it to work. Microsoft then disabled it again, in a normal monthly update, contrary to my preferences. This broke my configuration and led to a half-hour of troubleshooting to turn it back on again. That’s bullshit. It isn’t OK.

Patch Tuesday has been a thing for more than 15 years. October 2002 was the first.

Also, how the hell has Kodi not patched out SMB1 support? It’s an ancient protocol that is security hole-ridden. Microsoft announced it was going to deprecate SMB1 support in 2017 back in 2013.

They’re fixing it in the next version, and it works fine on windows and Linux, just not android.

Just upgrade to the nightly or newer version? SMBv1 has been broken since creators update

SMBv1 works fine, you just need to turn it on. Nightly Kodi doesn’t work well yet, already tried it.

SMBv1 is not included if you do a clean install of 1703. They removed it entirely. But if you had an older build of Windows 10 and upgraded, SMBv1 is simply disabled.

Really? It isn’t in add/remove windows components either? Man, that will break Kodi for everybody.

Glad I only use Win10 at work and not at home (where I have a working 8.1 install.)
Even with a enterprise version it forcibly tries to run updates at odd times though. Was gonna work late, windows decides “you’re going home at 5:21 today…”, but its probably cause the outsourced IT company hasn’t done a proper job of setting it up… telemetry spyware was set to basic amongs other things…