Windows 10

Metro/Universal apps would not be so bad if they were separated into a dedicated window or screen that you can minimize or maximize or switch to, sort of like a virtual machine. Regular Windows desktop users wouldn’t feel bothered. Everyone else who wants such stuff would still benefit from it.

I would so happily ditch Windows forever if I didn’t need it to play games. Win10 is a deal that gets worse every day.

Seriously, I thought it had hit bottom when it forced a restart during a game to install older graphics drivers than what I already had installed. Nooooope.

I wonder how the GDPR will affect Windows 10: (a.k.a. Windows Cambridge Analytica edition), hopefully they get flooded with requests after May 2018 regarding it.

Tried to add the linux subsystem at work today, was so used to using “get-windowsfeature”, “add-windowsfeature” on 2016, but apparently for Windows 10 need to use “Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online” and “Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online” instead, I guess because the powershell is just a frontend for DISM. Would’ve been nice if 10/2012-2016 had the same commands for this, but oh well…

You can just do it through the windows store, much easier. Lets you pick between linux distros too, there are like 5 of them now.

Redstone 4, aka Windows 10 17133, should arrive next week. I’m on the Release Preview ring, which is basically the “early adopters” ring, and I just installed it on my two machines. For what it’s worth, this is the smoothest update I’ve experienced yet. It didn’t fuck with my drivers at all, and no issues that I can tell.

As with any major update, it’ll be a phased deployment. Only a small percentage of users will get it at first, and then they’ll gradually expand it over the following weeks and months. Full deployment, when they open it up to everyone, should be around mid-summer. You can bypass the wait by using the media creation tool to download the latest ISO, but the updated tool won’t be released until next week.

Anything interesting in the update?

Some interesting stuff

1. There’s new virtualization-based security options which are being brought over from the enterprise editions.

2. Fluent Design is applied to a lot more of the UI; it’s subtle, but it looks nice and modern.

3. More privacy settings and information about what’s being sent.

4. More of the legacy control panel stuff is brought into the modern Settings.

5. The new Timeline feature is nice. It’s a history of what you worked on for the past 30 days, so you can go back and pick-up on a web page you were reading or a document you were working. It also can sync between devices.

6. NearShare. This is basically Microsoft’s version of Airdrop, but it works over bluetooth and not WiFi. You’re not going to want to share big files, but let’s say you want to share an image or URL.

7. Homegroups, which was nice in theory but never worked quite fully, are gone. Just do regular networking/cloud/NearShare.

8. More notifications settings, so you can prevent notifications from appearing when you’re playing a game or sharing your screen with others. That’s probably a boon if you’ve ever had to do a presentation and suddenly get an email notification with an embarrassing subject line.

9. Lot of under-the-hood improvements. Word is that audio got improved.

Nice video of the features at work

Oh, this could be interesting. How seamless is it? And will it work with any old Bluetooth adapter (and with Android phones)?

If you care about it, there’s a neat new audio routing feature that lets you assign any app you want to a specific audio device. So for stubborn ones like Spotify it will expose the assigned device as the default to the application but route it as you set it.

Very cool if you do any recording, streaming or otherwise find that kind of thing useful.

Handy for VR, though these days it seems to do that automatically most of the time.

No, just between Windows 10 machines, and they obviously have to have Redstone 4 or later. I do think it requires Bluetooth 4, but they were shipping Bluetooth 4 devices five years ago.

Oh. That’s completely useless to me then.

Yeah, I don’t care about any of the changes myself. Little iterative things.

I do like that MS is now transparent with their telemetry, that’s definitely an improvement, but they still don’t let us turn it off.

Which is the only setting that matters.

In the latest infuriating news from miserable corporate bastards at Microsoft compromising your privacy, the bi-annual update 1803 coming out next week no longer allows users to disable web search. It completely ignores the group policies supposed to turn it off. These policies still work in Win10 Enterprise and Education, which means Microsoft intentionally and deliberately broke them.

In this age of #DeleteFacebook and such, do people really care about their privacy? I guess we’ll find out.

Funny you mention that, I just installed Windows 10 Enterprise at home, and I probably spent 2 hours in group policy going through every option to disable microsofts giant ‘fuck you’ to its users, for extra safety I installed it from a USB while the computer was disconnected from the internets.

(Posting this from my W8.1 boot…)

Think I’ll reboot once more while offline and disconnect drives that I do not want W10 to have a drive mapping to and while I install the rest of my software, then it will be time to go online and see how much is leaking.

Unfortunately in this age of “internet installers” I’ve been unable to find Comodo Internet Security 10 offline mode installation pack, so I could set it up while offline (which would be a good idea if you’re installing a firewall, no? )… so guess we’ll see how that works out.

Now to look for a Cambridge Analytica wallpaper, which would be fitting for W10.

However much Apple frustrates me with their suboptimal decisions…

I still can’t get 1709 to update/install so I have no hope for this one.