Windows 10

Great! Hopefully they don’t break that in an upcoming patch.

I actually already had that set, either Shutup10 or Winaero Tweaker must have set it.

Funny thing, I had disabled everyting I could through Gpolicy, and as soon as I booted on the network the system proceeded to download Intel drivers, Razer Synapse 3.0 and some shitty old verison of the Geforce drivers.

The one setting that seemed to have blocked everything was related to certification updates, but unfortunately with it set a lot of other features failed to work because of certificate trust chain being broken/unverified.

Fired up ShutupWin10 and it showed 2-3 additional disable options for many of the things I had disabled through Gpolicy; but I guess a lot of the settings were for ‘user’ mode wheras most of the settings I had set already were for Computer.

Pretty amazing how shitty it is, or, more likely by design to siphon out as much information from the users as possible. Hopefully they get hit hard by GDPR.

Yes, I would be pleased as punch if the EU fined Microsoft 4% of their global revenue over this.

And of course enterprise isn’t available for us plebs (volume licensing).

Guess I’m still on 8.1 for the foreseeable future (I don’t get the hate for it anyway)

Seems like W10Enterprise was just as terrible as the lower tiers, considering all the stuff you still had to disable (that was ignored anyway). I dont even trust it to stick to ‘security’ telemetry level as it ignored so much else I set in Group Policy.

Feels like Win10 was built around the premise of siphoning out as much as possible information from the user, changing every PC to a giant mobile phone user interrface. But, they did see how OK everyone were with what google and facebook did and decided to follow suit.

After nothing but issues with it today, including 3 freezes while playing Destiny 2 and a BSOD while playing Civilization 6 DX12 I decided to stick to my Win8.1 install, which I’m planning on reinstalling instead.

8.1 became perfectly fine after some more updates and (for most) avoiding the Metro screen. However, 10 is simply better in pretty much all respects; performance, features, security (NOT privacy, but please note telemetry is in full play in your version, although it’s easier to block iirc).

Yeah, Win10 is a much better OS in an other than that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln sort of way.

I just noticed that without my consent - unless I missed clicking on something or accidentally clicked on something - the new version of Windows 10 on my gaming PC auto installed Bubble Witch 3, Minecraft, Facebook and a bunch of other apps through the Windows Store. I didn’t even noticed until the updater kept annoying me that it was unable to complete installation for one of the programs.

Did a clean W10 install last night. Had been running an old Win7/8/10 install for years via various upgrades and it’s really nice to have something 100% clean for a change. Also finally started using an SSD I bought a year or so back. Super happy with the setup, now.

Only issue I encountered was having to install twice, due to the USB installer putting my boot information onto my original Windows install drive instead of on the SSD where it installed Windows. Not sure why that happened. So I lost everything after the first post-install reboot and had to go through the whole process again, this time with the HDD completely disconnected during install.

Enidigm, this happened to me last night after my first install, and did not happen during my second and final install. I believe it may be related to how some question is answered somewhere along the way during install, or possibly when first logging into the Microsoft Store app. Can’t remember what it was exactly.

I upgraded two machines to 1803 and didn’t get those.

I wonder if it had to do with Age of Empires Definitive Edition. It’s been bitching about connecting to Xbox Live and refuses to operate even in single player until it does. Maybe that was the back door program to get all these Windows Store apps to install. There were at least 10 in the (what used to be) Start Menu.

Stusser, I was using Shutup 10 to disable some Win 10 settings and I’m a little unsure about what I’m disabling. I checked the quick help and here’s what I think I figured out. Green showing on button means setting is disabled, red means enabled. To the right yes means it’s recommended to disable the setting, limited means it’s up to you if you want to disable (generally disable if you aren’t using the function) and no means you shouldn’t disable.

Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks

If the switch is active and green, that means the setting is enabled. So if the switch is green on “Telemetry Disabled”, that means that the telemetry is indeed disabled. The right column is whether they recommend enabling the setting. So the right of “Telemetry Disabled” is a green checkmark, that means they recommend activating that setting and thus turning off telemetry.

It’s confusing as hell to explain in text but I found it very clear in the app myself.

Thanks, that’s what I thought, short version green disables, red enables settings. Check mark and yes on right means disable, limited means maybe and ‘! No’ means don’t disable. I thought I got it right, but I’m used to green meaning on and red meaning off which is the opposite of how Shutup 10 works.

Green disables in that yes it disables telemetry. But really the switch “sets active” whatever that setting may be. It just so happens that most of the settings disable various crapware so you get a confusing double negative.

March’s updates killed VMware virtual NICs for our Server 2008 R2 servers in testing so we had to work around that.

Think I read about the NIC issue in The Register a while back.
was looking for it when I found this:

Which is… pretty awesome that after so many years of this being an issue we still have browsers that do not let you disable it… But IE has an option to do so, which at least is a + for IE… :)

I think this was the article about the NICs going rogue.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/microsoft_windows_meltdown_patch_saga/
Which links to a KB article on it here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4099950/nic-settings-are-replaced-or-static-ip-address-settings-are-lost-after

The one day I used Win10 at home I ran into the stuttering issue which apparently has been unfixed for 6 months… I guess as long as Telemetry works, everything else can foad.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/29/windows_10_creators_update_driver_flaws/

I just had my server guys test yesterday with this month’s patches and they seemed to get a working workaround for the virtual NICs to work.

I received the “joyous” update and now my start menu has a whole bunch of “new” stuff I’ll never touch in a million years.

Are you on the preview ring? The spring update has been delayed a couple weeks.