Windows 10

Wish me luck. Manually installing it on purpose.

Everything seems to have made it through w/o problems this time. Where Fall Update hosed me last time, I went and disable everything in startup except Windows Defender before installing the upgrade.

Surprised to see HomeGroups gone.

Honestly, I didn’t remember if I opted back out or not. I suppose this answers the question, lol.

Good luck :)

Did that last Saturday, Sunday I was back on W8.1. Thinking about trying Server 2016 as desktop OS next.

W10 is like a 5 star meal made by the best michelin chefs, then covered in manure - sure the lowlevel system stuff is great - the rest, not so much.

For first time out of last 2 service-pack level updates, things went off without a hitch for me.

To do it, I did the Win10MediaTool + randomCAB file from the internet with a slash local switch or something at the commandline then ran the tool to make a new Win10 ISO with build 1803. After, I extracted its contents and ran setup.exe. Took an hour.

[quote]Thanks, Martin. As an update to your method, Deskmodder now provides an easy way to run the official Windows 10 Media Creation Tool with a custom “products.cab” to upgrade to build 1803 (or create bootable media):

1. Download the custom “products.cab”: http://abbodi1406.square7.ch/ESD/products.cab
  2. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
  3. Place “MediaCreationTool.exe” and “products.cab” in the same directory
  4. From command prompt, run: MediacreationTool.exe /selfhost
    Include the full path to “MediaCreationTool.exe” if CMD is not run from the same directory.
  5. The Media Creation Tool runs as normal, but is redirected to the new Spring Creators Update links on the Windows Update servers.[/quote]

Shit. This month’s updates breaking virtual NICs randomly is still happening with some servers.

Luckily haven’t been hit at work yet, still, nice to see their “outsourcing of QA to users” is paying off with quality patches the past few years.

I miss Windows Phone too. Live tiles on a phone vs desktop are actually really great! The virtual keyboard is also much nicer than Android’s (Nougat).

I just had my start menu (and other UWP apps, but I don’t care about them other than the calculator) break again. Didn’t change anything, it just stopped working. All the various stuff one does to fix this, wsreset, sfc, dism, rebooting, using powershell scripts to try to rebuild, praying to Satan, nothing worked. Just like last time I downloaded Win10 again using the tool, reinstalled it on top of itself, and it’s fixed again. For now. I have no doubt it’ll break again.

Fucking piece of shit software.

I’ve learned to uninstall those Stardock + shell enhancement/replacement apps before major Service Packs/Feature Updates but surprisingly Stardock’s Fences Pro and Start10 still worked for me.

Did MS fire all their QA testers?

Do you ever wonder if Shutup10 and all the other things you do to your Win10 install have anything to do with it breaking all the time?

Honest question, not trying to be an a-hole.

Do I wonder if settings that hundreds of thousands of people use caused a problem after a full 4 months, when nothing else changed, not even a windows update that day? No, that isn’t it.

Not sure why MS helpfully placed a shortcut to Edge on my otherwise empty desktop after the service pack was applied.

The SCU version of Edge is actually pretty decent. They haven’t discussed what they’ve done with the latest rendering engine (EdgeHTML 17), but I give Edge a serious try after each major update. I’m pleasantly surprised.

I use it too. I’m having none of these issues. Of course now that I said that…

They’ve basically made their “Telemetry” i.e Windows 10 “Cambridge Analytica” (Home) edition users their QA testers/guinea pigs.

Re: Shutup10. 10 happily ignored my group policy settings on Win10Enterprise before (and after) shutup10.

Please remove me from your mailing list

Don’t know what group policy setting you’re talking about specifically, but you should be able to set telemetry to “security” on Win10 Enterprise, which turns off all standard telemetry. That doesn’t cover everything of course, it still contacts Bing when you do a local filesystem search, etc, but it covers the actual telemetry.

This seems like a positive step. “Instead of screwing you all, then rushing fixes that may or may not screw you further, we’ll wait and try again.” Kudos to whoever made that decision!