Windows 10

Since there is strangely no way to sign out of the Xbox app without it I need to restore and sign out before I redo the upgrade.

I was going through my settings when I decided to click on gaming. I can turn Game bar, Game DVR and TruePlay off, but I can’t turn off or disable Game mode and Xbox Networking. I’m not too concerned about Game Mode because it appears that you have to open the Game bar to turn it on, however every time I click on Xbox Networking it immediately goes online to check my internet connection. How do I disable this? I don’t have an xbox or play any multiplayer games. I don’t even have a xbox account. I have a Microsoft account, but I only log into that account once or twice a year. If I remember correctly I have only logged into that account 4 or 5 times total since Win 10 has come out. Again is there any way to disable xbox networking? All services that have xbox in its’ name are off except XboxNetApiSvc and every time I turn it of it restarts on its own. Any advice?

nope. signing out of xbox app before applying spring update didn’t work either.

No one else having issues with W10 Xbox app?

Here’s what’s happening now. I stop XboxNetApiSvc and it appears to stay stopped, but if I click on Xbox Networking in the gaming settings it turns itself back on. Which makes me wonder what else might turn that service back on.

Can you disable the service after stopping it? It shouldn’t start at all if it’s disabled.

I disabled all services that had xbox in the title except for one XblGameSave. Access was denied for that one. Clicked on Xbox Networking again and it connected to the internet and the service is stopped. It’s funny I have never had a Xbox live subscription, never used any win 10 gaming settings haven’t bought a game from the windows store and yet XblGameSave keeps connecting to something on the internet. I assume it’s a microsoft server of some sort. I just wonder what programs might use this to connect to the internet without me knowing. I bet if anybody here actually clicked on Xbox Networking with all xbox services disabled it would still connect to the internet. It’s beginning to look like I need to don my tin foil hat. ;)

You know what my biggest beef right now with the latest (Fall, I think) update is? They removed the native Reader app. I really liked it for .pdf files- you could ink on it and save, the full screen mode was nice, good touch controls, etc. Now they’ve completely disabled it, and .pdf files open in Edge browser. I hate it.

I’ve used Foxit forever. It’s free.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

I stopped using FoxIt when they started putting adware in the installer. Switched to Sumatra for a while, now I open PDF’s in Edge.

IMO Adobe Reader isn’t totally shit, you just have to get your hands dirty to turn off all the unnecessary fluff, e.g. use read mode right from the get go.

So let’s say I’ve got a new work laptop I need to install a piece of software with an unsigned installer and current group policy precludes bypassing Defender SmartScreen to do so. Do I have any options? (I am an admin on the laptop. I think)

Does your software have a portable version?

If it’s for work, ask your sysadmin to allow it.

It’s an ancient tool to count keystrokes and mouse clicks over time because I find that a hilarious statistic to track (and have done so for well over a decade). It also happens to sound exactly like a keylogger and I’m sure my sysadmin will be happier if I don’t install it.

Thankfully, it does have a portable version! Huzzah!

You’re installing a keylogger so you can calculate your APM??

Do you have spreadsheets? Do you calculate your productivity in winter vs summer months? have you correlated output speed to major game release dates?

You keep that damn thing away from here!

Don’t sweat it. Wumpus has his own version. /s

I have a lame and annoying request… building a system and have a need for another Win 10 key; any good sources to get Home/OEM keys at a decent rate?

— Alan

$37.

Note the windows 7 and 8 keys they sell will also activate windows 10, but it’s only a couple extra bucks to get a full-on Win10 key. So even though it doesn’t really matter, I’d go for the Win10 key.