Windows 10

…that bricks devices if it detects that it is being run on Qualcomm hardware. No /s here.

Maybe one day MS will allow Win 10 keys to be used to activate Win 11, but not Win 7 or 8 keys? You have to think ahead too.

(Kidding. I think MS might stick with the Win 10 “version number” forever like OS X/macOS.)

Just curious how much does a legit Enterprise edition Windows 10 cost? I keep googling and the official answer is “contact MS”, which sounds like the price is my first born, or simply no sale to individuals. I am sick of MS harvesting my data in even pro edition.

Education version also allows disabling of that stuff, maybe easier to purchase?

I’m not a student any more, and I’m not a teacher, so…

Sorry, for some reason, I thought you could just, like, buy it at full price and the whole magical system thing I had to use was just for the employer discount.

If you know anyone who works for a large university, school district, etc., they can probably buy you a copy through their access.

I’d offer to sell you one, but I bought out my allotment for my family…:)

Hm… I have to ask around. Thanks for the tip.

Kinda crazy how excited I am about this

Whereas I think it looks pretty awful IMO.

But shit, my idea of good design is centered text and drop shadows so what do I know?

Borderless is a sign of the devil!

If Microsoft were to ask, the one new feature I’d like to see implemented in Windows 10 more than anything else is the ability to move/rename open files. You can do this on the Mac and it’s a wonderful thing.

Borderless windows? LOL, I remember this thing:

If/when you upgrade to the Spring Creators update, check your timeline settings if you’re concerned about the privacy implications:

Before that, update your 7-zip too:

I kinda like the borderless thing, compared to the current one pixel thing (though I agree about drop shadows). However, I so do wish the team that added the dark theme had coordinated with the Visual Studio Code team to do it right. Solid black isn’t what I really want in a dark theme :(

Why the hell would you NOT want a clear, consistent visual delineation between the app window and everything else?

This is another one of those aesthetics-over-usability decisions that has plagued Windows ever since Vista. Desktops have more resolution to play with than ever, yet these knuckleheads persist in trying to strip away borders, title bars, status bars, even scroll bars, as if there suddenly isn’t room for them anymore.

Fair point. That screenshot is very well constructed such that all the overlapping windows are delineated by virtue of being on top of other windows of different colors. Not so good when everything is the same shade of grey, or black on black. This ain’t no Johnny Cash OS.

What I would really want, is a feature that when you can’t delete / rename / whatever a file because it is in use, that it would tell me who the fuck is using it, and better yet, give me a choice to kill the offending application.

But what if the offending application… Is you?

Call it the Kevorkian option.