Windows 10

If it’s a new motherboard, the chipset drivers probably won’t be compatible. Might need to reinstall Windows from scratch, since I don’t think the OS will run at all.

Yeah, that’s the joke. ;)

Thanks, guess I’ll just have to see what happens when I power it on.

Not that I’m adverse to reinstalling. Normally I prefer to start with a clean slate no matter what, but in this case I’d only installed Windows a few months ago. No biggie.

Is your Windows license OEM or retail? I can’t remember if it’s still true, but does Microsoft still not allow Windows OEM licenses to change motherboards? Asking for myself too.

I’ve done it many times over the years. Usually didn’t even need to call them up.

Nope, not an OEM license.

Any tips on how I can make the task bar slimmer when putting vertically to the left? In the current state, the notification icons are taking two columns instead of one.

Can you grab the edge of the task bar to change the width? That works on my desktop.

Can you change the format of the date and time to something that takes up less space? That should help.

I turned date/time off and I was able to shorten it by a pixel or two … and no, it’s still two column :(

I did that and my screenshot above was the minimum it could go.
I think I am stuck at this width.

The google suggested this: https://superuser.com/questions/1057518/windows-10-taskbar-how-to-make-it-thinner-when-vertical/1057576

That points to using an advanced feature of 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. You may need to use a beta version depending on what build of Windows 10 you’re on.

I’ve no experience with it, but I wanted to know what’s possible so did the search. Never know when someone will ask me to help them with it. Good to know.

You’re right. That is the minimum it will go. In fact, my left side task bar is the same size. But I did not notice because my icons are really big.

I appreciate this. Thank you!

Well, just bought a Win10 Home USB from Microsoft for the new rig. Time to jump ship from 7 I guess. Sigh.

Wow, you held out far longer than I did. Nearly two years longer!
I went to Win 10 only because my pre-built rig came with it already. Otherwise I’d still probably be hanging on to Win 7. I loved Win 7.

However, I’ve had pretty good luck with Win 10, so I’m pretty well adjusted to it now. Still waiting for something to go horribly wrong, but it’s been smooth sailing thus far. This is also my first SSD computer, so even the biggest updates have gone really fast.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, cusses like I’ve never seen her cuss pretty much every time she fires up her Win 10 laptop, which she only does about every two to four weeks. Seems like every time she fires it up, there’s another update. On her computer, updates take anywhere from half an hour to two hours, sometimes longer. I’m thinking it’s because her laptop has a spinner HD, and she is also using my wireless connection from my 13-year-old router. Fortunately, nothing ever goes wrong; it just takes forever.

If I wasn’t upgrading to a new rig, I’d totally keep 7. I love 7 so much. But with a new rig, I’m not 100% sure everything will support 7, so it’s time to move on. I just hope 10 supports my beloved old joystick.

Which joystick is that?

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Best joystick made by God or man.

Oh wow. I’ve actually got a brand new one of those, still in the box. Amazon was discontinuing them, so i picked it up for like $60, as I’d heard good things about it. I just never got around to using it, since my trusty cheap Logitech Extreme 3D Pro never died.

I’ll be curious to see if yours works with Win 10, as I might bring mine out then. I’d almost forgotten that I have it.

According to reports like this one, it does work.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/microsoft-sidewinder-force-feedback-2-game/78f990bb-9a5c-48b9-94c4-0fa97e1cf0ee?auth=1

Here’s to hoping!

I thought this one was nice:

Certainly mirrors my own experiences, although I’ve yet to hit 18xx and have files deleted.