Windows 10

anyone else having build 1809 problems with Origin client not staying logged in and requiring sign-in each time, as if it’s a new IP/location with SMS/2FA? disabling stay logged in and logging in each session after closing client fixes it from stalling and expiring the login…but it’s only a workaroud.

Dodged a bullet there not updating to 1809. I waited about 4 months before jumping on 1803 anyway. When it comes to OS, if it ain’t broken don’t fix it. Because I still remember the days I had to reinstall Win 95 on floppy (13, IIRC) because of some BS file corruption. And the days when tech support would answer every question with “reinstall windows :))))))”.

So I’m installing this on my new machine tomorrow. How do I avoid these terrible updates?

PC Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options >

If you don’t use OneDrive or folder redirection, the file deletion bug doesn’t appear, as best I can tell. Do your homework if you do (I used to use some folder redirection in Steam before they allowed you to change your install directories, for example).

I do not use OneDrive at all, so yay!

The good old NTFS symlinks probably avoids the issue also.

I don’t either.

Need help if you all don’t mind.

I got Win10 free during their promotion phase, and don’t have a serial number or anything. I am going to do a fresh build with new PC parts. I don’t want to do an upgrade over existing messy system. This way I can also test my new build, while running current system til I feel comfortable all the new hardware works OK.

How do I do this when I can’t even find a serial number?

When you say you got Win10 free, do you mean that you upgraded from an earlier Windows? There would still be a Windows key associated with the original instance, and it’d be printed on the original install CD/DVD (or on the CD/DVD sleeve). You can also download and run a VBS script that extracts Windows keys (from the Windows installation, not from the installation media) when you run it, but I don’t have a link at the moment.

To install, I would download the Media Creation Tool and create a bootable USB stick with it.

Yes, that’s what I did I think. I do have serial numbers for older Windows version in an excel spreadsheet. Would that work?

It should work if it looks like this:

PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

If you upgraded from an older version of Windows i believe your “digital license” will be linked to your Microsoft account (hotmail, live email or whatever it is called nowadays) and you can use that to activate Windows 10.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation
Don’t know if it will work on totally new hardware though.

I’ve always used a free little app, I think called Key Finder, to get a dump of all my keys. (Not at home atm to check that name)

I used the vbs script to get the product key off my current system.

Can I do an install of Win 10 and not enter SN until later like we could do for Windows 7? That way I could use Win 10 on two machines until I’m ready to wipe my current system for good.

I believe during installation, you can skip the activation step by clicking a link labeled, “I don’t have a product key”. Windows will still be usable but there will be periodic reminders to activate.

Just noticed that Windows 10 is no longer free for students. When I was attending technical school you could download ISO images and install them for free. That no longer seems to be the case at my four year school. You have to buy your own license.

Whew good!

Yes, skip the key while installing Win10, then activate with your old windows 7/8/8.1 key afterwards.

If you don’t have an old key because it was auto-activated based on your BIOS, you can try to extract that key as other people mentioned, or tie it to your microsoft account, but you may need to buy a new key in the end. That’s only like thirty bucks at Kinguin.net.

Kinguins keys are cheap, but remember that they are OEM keys, which require clean installs