Windows 10

No, don’t copy that floppy!

That’s Office 365 rather than Windows, but I’d be unsurprised to find similar issues with the OS.

They pretty much covered Win10 already, MS is extremely transparent about Win10 telemetry as of 2018. You can see what’s being transmitted and even examine the contents of each payload.

What they don’t allow you to do it turn it off. But they are transparent.

Couldn’t have happened to nicer people, hopefully it ends in a record fine.

And just maybe, that will make them rethink the Win10 disable telemetry noption.

I certainly hope so. It’s annoying having to run Shutup10 again after every update.

Same with Nvidia’s driver telemetry. I disable that crap every time too.

It’s insane to me that the Windows updater doesn’t tell you why you’re not getting the latest major update. All it would need to say is that you should update or uninstall these apps to get the October update, then list them.

As it stands, I have no idea why I’m not getting the October update, and I don’t want to risk forcing the install since everything is running OK right now.

It sounds like, despite MS un-freezing the October rollout a few weeks ago, very very few users actually have it (like, less than 5%) from what I read earlier.

They said they were going to be very conservative about the rollout.

While the April Update had the fastest Windows 10 update rollout velocity, we are taking a more measured approach with the October Update, slowing our rollout to more carefully study device health data. We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and you will have a great experience. If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates,” so you avoid encountering any known problems. For those advanced users seeking to install the update early by manually using “Check for updates” in settings, know that we are slowly throttling up this availability, while we carefully monitor data and feedback.

This is smart, but the lack of transparency is not. They should be reporting why I am not getting the update.

Does Microsoft still sell OS installation disks, or is everything online now? I keep getting questions at work because we used to sell them here (but before my time).

Not discs, but they do offer a USB stick option.

I bought this with my recent build, made things super easy to install, I was told.

A cheaper alternative to buying the USB stick installer from MS would be to pick up a kinguin license (@stusser has linked to it a few times in this thread), and then create your own installation media (USB stick or DVD). Or skip the license purchase and use your own keys, if you already have them.

Yes, and windows 7/8/8.1 licenses still work to activate windows 10.

When I built my current rig, I struggled with the Win7 installation as it didn’t include the USB3 drivers, so thats a complication a bit of fiddling to sort out. (Just a heads up to anyone buying old Win versions…)

btw Once I finally managed to get Win7 installed, it complained that my processor was “too new” for it, so it forced my to upgrade to Win10.

I have Windows 10 installed on a virtual machine, but I still am hesitant to use it day-to-day. The ergonomics just aren’t there yet compared to Windows 7.

The only really annoying thing is the web search in the start menu. I am used to using start menu for directory/file names for example.

The googled method didn’t work, seems they removed the ability to do so. Gotta use the registry edit.

Windows native search always has been and continues to be the weirdest embarrassing failure of a feature. Use Everything or Listary, for goodness sake.

Well how do I link everything to my start menu key?

<3

More good news.