Windows 10

Win10 oneget package management is actually compatible with chocolately. It’s supposed to be basically the same thing.

There’s a huge difference between grafting package management on top of an OS and actually integrating it, and using it. Chocolately grafts on top, as does homebrew for OSX. They’re interesting, and situationally useful, but have far less impact than integrated package management like debian/fedora.

What I would like, if is Microsoft own tools are integrated into this. So If I read microsoft have a processor manager, called procexp, that I can do “oneget install procexp” instead of searching it in google to download it from microsoft, get a zip file.

But I will have my expectations small, since is Microsoft, and I have seen them missdeliverer before.

All this stuff might be nice but until Windows upgrades are free like OS X or at least more reasonably priced, adoption rate will make wide spread support for this kind of improvements a thing of a very distant future.

Leaks said that some XP/7 users would get free upgrades, and the normal price would be $30. My guess is that it will probably just flat-out be free for upgrades, and a new license key will be thirty bucks. But nothing confirmed yet.

Chocolately is great, but it is heavily dependent on your desired piece of software A) having a package and B) having an active package maintainer. It is the closest thing out there to a Windows-specific apt-get solution though. Hopefully if as stusser mentions it is better integrated with oneget, we’ll see a bigger move to using it.

Yeah, my Windows 8 upgrade was extremely cheap (they ran a sale on the run up to release), 8.1 was free and if 10 is free as well then I just don’t get the pricing complaint. Microsoft has been bending over backwards to accommodate us lately.

This is probably a really naïve question, but if upgrades are free do they only make money off of new machines? If so it seems to me that most people are upgrading to new machines at a much slower rate than before.

Enterprise is where the money’s at. If they give away consumer OS and employees push for the new OS in their workplace because it’s what they’re used to, that’s a huge win.

They are also hoping to sell Office 365 subscriptions to some users, and of course Surface hardware. Overall though it’s true that the Windows consumer business model is very shaky today. Microsoft didn’t drop the price because they thought it would be more profitable but because the market forced them. Consumers hate paying for OS and Apple/Google OS upgrades are free.

Yea, I was about to drop on University 365 subscription myself. (Then they forced the skype change through, and I decided that even the free 60 minutes per month wasn’t worth it, I switched VoIP provider to Skype instead, so I’ll keep using Office 2010 and LO)

The unlimited OneDrive storage that MS just added to 365 is a pretty damn sweet deal, especially if you have the 5-user, $99/license like me. Everyone in my family gets Office 365 and their own unlimited cloud storage. And, technically, I found a 5-user license for $70 online. Even better. It works out to like $14/year for each user.

Yeah, it’s very helpful to read about their pre-release promo sale 2+ years ago but last time I checked it would cost me $100+ to upgrade from my Win 7 and that’s for the cheapest editions. If I want to upgrade my Win 7 Pro to Win 8.1 Pro, it seems it will cost me $150+ CAD.

Not exactly bending backwards. At least it’s not Microsoft that is being bent here. :)

Interesting pricing you’ve got there. A friend of mine whose PC I was fixing bought Windows 8.1 outright for $80 the other day.

Maybe they hate Canada or something.

They do. :) Everything is, for some reason, priced quite a bit higher up here, plus CAD is getting weaker now. The cheapest Win 8.1 Home I could find after a bit of searching was $108 CAD, which is $95 USD.

Still though, even at $80, most people won’t be eager to spend it to upgrade. You can buy tons of games with that money during Steam’s Winter Sale. :)

New build is out:

With 9879 you can now hide the Search or Task View buttons on the taskbar.

Yay!

Hamburger iconography is a great change too. It’s not Apple or Google’s visual style any more. Everybody uses the burger.

Multitouch gestures should be customizable.

I had to google “hamburger iconography” and even that was not very helpful until I read the original article and saw they meant “that icon with 3 horizontal lines that you click for a menu.” Is it really called that? Seems weird to me. But as for the change, yeah, that’s a good change!

Really? It was the second and third items in a google search for me. Maybe google customized my search differently than yours. Weird.

Yeah, I got the same search. But I looked at the 1st and 5th links, which weren’t helpful!

Just in case anyone is wondering, the system requirements on Windows 10 don’t seem to be very high. I just installed it on a 6 year old HP touchsmart all in one (model IQ500). That’s a Core2Duo system with 4 GB of RAM (it originally came with Vista). Three OS upgrades later, it’s running Windows 10 and seems smooth as butter.