Windows 10

Yikes! Your post just had me running to my PC to check my external drives. All are fine after yesterday’s update. Yeesh.

What Windows Update does break, EVERY FREAKING TIME, is my mixer. I use VoiceMeter Banana and a virtual audio cable for my recording and streaming, and every time there’s an update, I have to uninstall cable, reboot, uninstall voicemeter, reboot, reinstall cable, reboot, reinstall voicemeter, reboot.

It’s kind of maddening.

0 Likes

I usually just have to reassign it as the default device and it’s fine. Windows just seems to slap it back on the hardware after an update.

0 Likes

I wish it were that simple. Sometimes it is. But for bigger updates, gotta go through that whole rigamarole.

0 Likes

Only one more year of Windows 7 support left. :(

0 Likes

So guys, I’m having a weird problem with Windows 10. I installed a legit copy of Star Wars Galaxies the other day, and Windows is saying the directory is read only, but I can’t seem to uncheck the box, as it always comes back even after applying it. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

0 Likes

Try running the installer/program as administrator. It generally solves compatibility issues for me for older programs in 10.

0 Likes

Gah, alright, I’ll try that next. Thank you.

0 Likes

Is the install folder under “Program Files” by any chance? If so, get it out of there. You’re probably fighting with TrustedInstaller.

0 Likes

Nope, it’s on a different drive entirely.

0 Likes

Or log in as admin when installing mods or tweaking the game.

0 Likes

0 Likes

My guess is that only applies if you have a CPU using their implementation of retpoline, meaning any AMD CPU or an intel CPU that’s broadwell (“5th gen”) or earlier.

0 Likes

So this bs service keeps autostarting itself (BcastDVRUserService) and even running PSexec with system seems to be unable to reconfigure it.

Guess its time to go into regedit.

0 Likes

That’s the game DVR stuff, turn it off in the settings.

0 Likes

That is the thing, it was already ‘off’ in settings. (1803).
Cheers tho.

Guessing with the way Windows 10 is gradually removing control from the user to “the hive mind” at Microsoft we will soon see the removal of Regedit also.

0 Likes

yeah, regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
-> GameDVR_Enabled == 0

0 Likes

Thanks.

One thing I see is that a lot of services have a “master” service with more settings, then a _(random) service, guessing per user, that contain much of the same settings.

In services MMC you only see the _user services, but not the master service.

Having set both to disabled for this service, and it being stopped, it was immediately restarted when I opened up the settings page in the screenshot above.

Guess next step is this: https://github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy

0 Likes

It’s a per-user service, that gets created when you log in and destroyed when you log out.

Above doc includes a number of ways to disable. (Note: it will still get created - there’ll be an entry in service list for it - but it “should” be in the disabled state.)

0 Likes

Windows 10 would be a vastly better platform if everything (including control panels) with the tiniest hint of Metro UI was ripped out tomorrow.

0 Likes

Either that or brought up to parity with the windows desktop stuff, which it still isn’t. At the rate they’re going they’ll get there in like 2022.

0 Likes