Windows 10

My guess is that only applies if you have a CPU using their implementation of retpoline, meaning any AMD CPU or an intel CPU that’s broadwell (“5th gen”) or earlier.

So this bs service keeps autostarting itself (BcastDVRUserService) and even running PSexec with system seems to be unable to reconfigure it.

Guess its time to go into regedit.

That’s the game DVR stuff, turn it off in the settings.

That is the thing, it was already ‘off’ in settings. (1803).
Cheers tho.

Guessing with the way Windows 10 is gradually removing control from the user to “the hive mind” at Microsoft we will soon see the removal of Regedit also.

yeah, regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
-> GameDVR_Enabled == 0

Thanks.

One thing I see is that a lot of services have a “master” service with more settings, then a _(random) service, guessing per user, that contain much of the same settings.

In services MMC you only see the _user services, but not the master service.

Having set both to disabled for this service, and it being stopped, it was immediately restarted when I opened up the settings page in the screenshot above.

Guess next step is this: https://github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy

It’s a per-user service, that gets created when you log in and destroyed when you log out.

Above doc includes a number of ways to disable. (Note: it will still get created - there’ll be an entry in service list for it - but it “should” be in the disabled state.)

Windows 10 would be a vastly better platform if everything (including control panels) with the tiniest hint of Metro UI was ripped out tomorrow.

Either that or brought up to parity with the windows desktop stuff, which it still isn’t. At the rate they’re going they’ll get there in like 2022.

The “Mobile UI” Abomination would be a blessing if it were removed, aye.

Metro is fine on phones. I like it better than Android.

Sigh. I was hoping to stick with Windows 7 for another year, but I might upgrade due to this unless MS can patch it really really soon. I switched to Firefox already, but it probably is not enough. Am I overreacting?

There are 0 days that are discovered for Windows 10 also.

And since Win7 is still supported, it too gets security patches.

Firefox is safe from the Chrome exploit, but maybe not the WIn7 one.

Best thing to do is to run one of those browser with an extension like uMatrix as well as disabling all ‘fancy’ features like Flash, PDF in browser, etc.

Umatrix takes a bit of use to learn, but once you got it running you’ll usually avoid 3rd party javascript exploits that trigger a 0 day in your browser, at least. unless you allow everything in umatrix ofcourse, default it only allows running scripts from 1st party (i.e. the hostname you visit).

Also good idea to not surf the web with your logged in user, if it has admin rights. So either launch-in-another-username the browser, or login to your computer as a “normal” user with no permissions.

Does anyone have a problem with the search box. It’s not doing anything for me. I key a string and it doesn’t auto-complete or anything else.

When I double click on it I get a cortana panel so I’m guessing it might have to do with MS wanting me to speak with me PC ( I don’t).

I use it to launch apps that I don’t use regularly and did not create short cuts for. Really annoying that it’s not working.

Probably need to specify which build of Win10 you’re on as MS tends to break things depending on which version you’re at.

Run -> Winver
Like this:

Do not have that issue here, then again, I do not use search/cortana.

You’ve got the exact same Windows version I do!

Any news on why we’re not getting 1809 yet?
I kinda want to get it over with, though Windows is running perfectly right now.
I mean, my gf got 1809 many weeks ago on her stupid lame laptop, so I’m wondering why my gaming desktop won’t get it. And no, I won’t force it. It’s just something that’s been bugging me every time Windows does an update, and it doesn’t go to 1809.

MS’s policy lately has been “if ain’t it broke, we’ll break it for you”. So I’m kind of happy that I’m still on 1803 and they are not forcing me to upgrade. I don’t have RTX card so there is no hurry.

I’m perfectly happy as well, and glad to know I’m not the only one still rockin’ with 1803.

It’s just that IIRC, 1809 finally got fixed and released in Nov. 2018, so I was beginning to worry that my updates weren’t working properly. I’ve just never had to wait this long before, and when my gf announced that her ancient laptop installed it in February, I kept thinking, “any day now…”

But hey, as long as this is considered normal, I’m happy to wait. My PC is currently running like new, so I’m not anxious to push my luck. :)

I’m still on 1803 as well.