Windows 10

Dunno really. I’m running Enterprise LTSB, and not eager to be guinea pig for Microsoft chasing a CI/CD pipeline without QA. That said, I heard that The October 2018 release is finally ready to go mainstream, so maybe it will work out once we get it.

Apparently if you run a manual update check you might be offered it.

I think an upcoming version of Windows 10 will be given the code name ‘Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.’

I got the same version as you.

Untitled

My dad’s PC (an aging but still capable Intel 920-based Dell XPS) was for some reason still on 1803. Running ‘check for updates’ automatically patched it up to 1809.

Reason I was looking into it was my parents have some sort of support contract thing with a local PC shop and the shop sent a notice saying the machine was too old to be updated or some such nonsense.

This exact issue happened to me last week. It was somehow automagically resolved within a couple days of aggravation (a few restarts later, basically).

I’m in 1809, fwiw. Seemed to happen around or after a .NET update, but I’m not sure if that was the actual cause.

I didn’t get the update option for 1809 until today myself, and that’s just because someone mentioned it here that I went to go check. I’d been checking too since it was mentioned back in the fall. Just hadn’t for a couple of weeks.

Doh. I took a look and it said I was on 1803, but was up to date. Something compelled me to hit ‘check for updates’ regardless. And now it is grabbing 1809.

I’m waiting for Windows 10 2000 or Windows 10 XP.

Surely you’d want Windows 10 SE.

Think I still have a special edition Win98SE cd in a box somewhere, remember back in the days they sent the beta testers a commemorative CD once they went rtm.

Pshaw! Windows 10 New Millennium is where it’s at! :P

Windows 10: New Dawn

I feel assaulted.

I have a violet reaction to that image.

Fuschia shock.

Killing the Cortana process fixed it. Hopefully installing 1809 won’t break it again.

Is pink mandatory now?

lol - no, just one of many themes

Interesting. Guess some of us will be skipping 1809 altogether.

Someone still running Windows 10 1803 in, say July, will be able to skip 1809 entirely by calling up “Download and install,” which will then deploy the latest version, Windows 10 1903.

I was in New Dawn, in Jumpgate. And that is a travesty. Pink is the color of Flux!

put hand up

I moved from 1803 to 1809 after they deemed it “business ready” i.e. “we use Win 10 Home users as beta testers and the beta testers say it is now good enough”.

It is ok so far, some mystery reboot aside.

I’m not gonna jump into 1903 until 3-6 months after official release, i.e. when MS deem it “business ready” again.

0/4 now - 1809 continues the traditional on the old XPS 13 with a reboot loop. Took a full reinstall.

And to add to that, it also blew up the wifi on a new laptop (Huawei Matebook X Pro) - either errors out on connect attempt, or “connects” w/o data being sent. This one got reverted to 1803 for now since I’m traveling and unable to deal with a full reinstall or driver fuckery.

Yeah still not going to move the desktop to Win 10.

I tested out 1809 in my virtual environment, powered by VMWare VDI, and the boot up times exploded from 1 or 2 minutes to almost 20 (!!!) and it when the damned system would finally provision itself, it seemed to have some performance issues as well. Some of that is VMWare needing to update their tools, of course, but I’m not looking forward to keeping my Windows 10 virtual environment updated from what I’ve experience twice now, so far.

“Oh, we don’t support that in 1803” I heard like 3 times on the phone with various software vendors in the last six months. Super duper.