Windows 10

So you guys, I leave my PC on 24/7. I’ve noticed I need to reboot Win10 every few days or it gets unstable. Stuff won’t load and I get some sort of “windows can’t be created” error when I load something.

Is this normal for Win10? I could leave Win7 up for ages and not have this issue.

Thanks y’all.

It is very rare for me to reboot W10 on my desktop. It is quite stable. I reboot chrome more often than windows I think (for updates).

When you get back to your PC, what is its status? Did it autolock, and you have to log back in again? It sounds as if you don’t ever lock it and it’s perpetually awake or something.

Yeah. If you’re running a “clean,” bare Windows 10, have no hardware issues, and you’re not locking or running auto-updates, it should run perfectly fine in perpetuity. Any additional software, services, etc. is likely where you’re getting bogged down.

There’s a practice in a client with large number of windows servers that requires every machine to reboot during off-peak hours. It’s no joke.

Yeah, it’s always awake. Usually I notice a problem when DisplayFusion has crashed. Ugh.

I hate to say “memory leak” but that window error sounds like some sort of resource is unavailable because something running is gobbling everything up. Kinda like the handles of the olden days. I don’t know thought.

Gah, I bet it’s Opera. Fucking browsers.

It’s probably some obscure little program you always have running and never notice… A tiny one like a printer monitor … or that soundswitch thing … whatever it is you’ll never find out!

edit: Idea, create a new account on same windows and use it for a while to see if error exists again.

Hah, time to start experimenting. Thanks guys!

Task Manager should be able to tell you if you’re about to run out of memory, or if the CPU is 100%, or if there’s a lot of disk activity, and which processes are the top offenders. If not, then the programs “Process Explorer” or “Process Hacker” should be able to do so.

Had to do that when I patched from 1709 to 1803 or w.e., as my old account would no longer work at all. This Windows-as-a-Service thing is such an upgrade from Windows 7/8

Yeah, I installed this (because I love it) and uninstalled a few things I didn’t need, like Epson printer monitor things. Basically Opera is terrible with memory, so closing that every so often has helped a LOT.

Ding dong, UWP is dead.

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Is there any way to access the normal task manager’s startup section after replacing it with process explorer?

Does running taskmgr.exe not work? I never set it to replace myself, I really like Win10’s task manager and don’t need to drill down that often.

There should be a command in one of the menus that starts the regular Task Manager. There is one definitely in Process Hacker.

Nope there isn’t in Process Explorer. The UAC option to replace Taskmgr isn’t a toggle/switch but once you change it, you have to remove the regkey it creates to get Taskmgr back.

Alternatively, as long as you’re dipping toes in SysInternals, you could use autoruns instead of that section of task manager.

This happened again. At least this time I was able to fix it immediately. It doesn’t help that finding the task manager without the search box is a pain in windows 10.