Windows Defender saying it found something but nothing in log?

Every morning when I start up my PC, Windows Defender starts in the background, and I end up with a message that Windows Defender scanned my PC and took action against malicious software. But when I look into the logs, it shows absolutely nothing.

Any idea what’s going on?

What action does Defender say it takes? Sounds like you need to delete something.

When I open Defender there is no record of any action, nothing in the quarantined items, nothing in the allowed items, nothing in the all detected items. No history of any action taken. I just get this notice in the Windows Alert box.

If it were me, I’d reboot and try downloading some additional quarantine tools.

I just wanted to say this morning I saw it for the first time and same as you, I checked all the tabs and nothing had been found.

I’m running malwarebytes premium in the background as well, so I’d be surprised if Windows Defender found anything.

I’m also running malwarebytes premium in the background. And when I do a manual scan with Defender) as opposed to the auto scan it does when I first start up, it finds nothing.

EDIT: I take that back. Just did a quick scan, once again the Windows notification came up and said Defender took action on malicious software, but Defender itself shows nothing.

You can look in Event Viewer under Windows Defender/Operational. If it found any malware, it should show there as an event.

You can also try running mrt.exe (windows key, type “mrt”, hit enter) and see what that comes up with.

Also, I’d check scheduled tasks, make sure the malware didn’t add a task to keep re-installing itself.

I have seen a number of people complain about this issue - the Windows notification pops up after a Defender scan and says Defender scanned the system and took action on malicious software, but Defender itself shows nothing.

I ran Defender last night, watching it, and when it was done the same notice popped up. But I looked at Defender itself, and it said Defender has scanned your system and found no problems or something like that. Which makes me think something is just screwed up in the Defender Windows Notification.

Running MRT because i never knew that existed! :)

This is happening to me as well. I’ve ran Defender manually and it has found nothing, I’ve looked in the logs and it has found nothing. There’s definitely a bug somewhere.

Yeah, this has happend to me a few times over the past few days. I have no idea what the cause is.