Windows Explorer question

Windows XP - for some reason I can no longer get the status bar to “stick” at the bottom of my Windows Explorer screen (the little info strip that shows file size, free space on the drive, etc.) I can click View-Status Bar and it shows, but when I exit and then open Windows Explorer again it’s gone.

How do I get it to stay?

That seems to be something that gets broken on a regular basis. It was like that on my initial install. After some patches, it stuck. But I recently installed a patch and it has become unstuck again. Sorry, no solution, but just confirmation that you are not the only one with the problem.

hah. same problem. i eventually settled on the solution of never closing explorer.

Get a windows explorer screen set all like you wanted, then go to Tools->Folder Options->View and click Apply To All Folders. Below that, make sure that Remember Individual Folder’s View Settings is checked.

The status bar is applied to folder views, too?

Yes, those macintosh-style windows you get when you click around in my computer are explorer too, just with a different setting.

Get a windows explorer screen set all like you wanted, then go to Tools->Folder Options->View and click Apply To All Folders. Below that, make sure that Remember Individual Folder’s View Settings is checked.[/quote]

Beautiful - that seems to have worked. Thanks!

There was a Windows XP tip on this topic in this month’s edition of Maximum PC. It was essentially what Jason recommended. I’ll dig up the article to see if there were any differences.

-DavidCPA

I’d like to be able to view the contents of a folder as a web page (previewing an image on the left.) Is there a way to do this short of reverting back to the classic Windows style? I’m not even sure if that option has that feature like Win98SE did, though.

Going back to classic will remove the “view as thumbnails” type option. Classic had none of that nonsense. What you can do (in XP) is open an explorer window and select View->Thumbnails. This will make each file a thumbnail. I haven’t found a way to have all the files there like normal with the currently selected one “thumbnailed” on the left which kinda sounds like what you want.

Yeah, I don’t want to see all the files as thumbnails, unfortunately. Just when I highlight one file with my mouse. I am really missing that in the transition from 98SE to XP.