Windows licensing questions

OK, here’s the situation: I’ve got a Windows 7 Ultimate retail license on my current older build, which I want to use to activate Windows 10 on my newer build in progress. But I’d then like to keep the older build around with its own SSD and an old HDD, maybe as a media server. I understand that I can change the license key on the old installation of Windows 7 without having to reinstall or anything, which would free up the Windows 7 Ultimate retail license*.

I see on Newegg that apparently one can’t get an OEM license of Windows 7 Home any more, is that correct? So if I want to stay nice and legal I need to shell out 140 bucks for a Windows 7 Pro OEM license? Or is there a legit source out there that still sells Windows 7 Home (that I can install on any compatible hardware, of course)?

I’ve also read that one can buy a Windows 10 Home OEM license and downgrade to Windows 7, but would that key work to just seamlessly replace the Windows 7 key on my older build (without upgrading to 10 immediately)?

*It’s supposed to be retail, anyway. I got it at a launch event freebie way back in Fall 2008.

I may have a Win 7 home disk and key around somewhere. I’ll check in a bit. No guarantees.

Did you check for grey market keys?

I’ve got an old OEM Windows 7 Ultimate disk I can get the keys to you tomorrow from work. Just left work actually, wish I had read this before.

Sorry, just Win XP Pro. Best go with Enidigm.

My student copies of Windows 10, 7, Server, etc. all expire in two years since I just graduated. I will be sad. :(

I would prefer retail licenses since you can move them between machines as they break down and you get new ones. But it will be expensive. :(

Wait, student copies just expire? How does that work? When you get them you have to tell them when you’re going to graduate?

The licenses you get from most MS programs don’t expire.

The keys don’t expire. They rely on the honor system.

Yeah, you’re supposed to stop using them 2 years after you graduate. Dunno if MS actually checks to see if that is the case.