Windows This One Goes to 11

Slack was already complaining to the EU about Teams. Now MS is integrating it directly within Windows.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/22/slack-accuses-microsoft-of-anticompetitive-practices-in-eu-complaint.html#:~:text=Slack%20filed%20a%20complaint%20against%20Microsoft%20with%20the,tying%20it%20to%20its%20popular%20Office%20productivity%20suite.

It seems to work for a lot of people but that stuff just so does not land for me. It’s a tool I use, I don’t need to be emotional about it. I guess I’m more of the Gates type, show me the new tech and new tools that’s going to make my computering more computery. :)

I’m reminded about that famous thing that Jobs said.

“It is in Apple’s DNA that technology alone is not enough—it’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing.”

Auto HDR is a nice feature, but until PC displays get brighter, HDR sorta sucks.

Dell and others are finally shipping machines with 500 nit displays.

Give us Quick Resume.

I’m behind the stream a ways, but so far while I haven’t seen anything revolutionary (and I wasn’t expecting anything like that), I’m seeing lots of nice usability features which I’ll be making use of.

Has MS finally figured out the Store? Any kind of app. Devs can keep all their revenue if they want.

And Android apps!?!

Lots of crap I don’t care about and will instantly disable, widgets, centered start menu, integrated Teams, etc.

I didn’t watch the stream, but the Verge liveblog didn’t feature one single mention of privacy. Huge contrast with Apple and actually, even Google.

Auto HDR will be nice if you have a real HDR monitor, but most people have HDR400 at best these days so not so much. Maybe that will change with better HDR support in Windows though.

Wow, that is one fragrantly steaming load of total bullshit right there.

early 2022 free upgrade probably

I’ve been running the insider dev build with Auto HDR for quite a while on my LG 27GN950-B which has HDR 600. There were some annoying bugs in the beginning, but I must say that I quite like it. Some games work better in borderless window than in full screen with Auto HDR for some reason, but that’s been mostly it. The only game I’ve really had issues with is Wildermyth where everything just becomes super bright.

I mean, consider the source.

I think he left out the quiet part, of course; the quote should be:

“It is in Apple’s DNA that technology alone is not enough—it’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, combined with the audacity to mark our prices up to absurd heights and engage in as much protectionist behavior as we can get away from, that yields us the results that make our heart sing.”

Yeah but what does everyone think about The Rise of Skywalker and the Epic Games Store?

That’s great! HDR600 is, IMO, the minimum for “real” HDR. HDR400 is just bullshit.

Regarding borderless vs fullscreen, DX12 doesn’t support real fullscreen so they probably focused on that first.

Did DirectStorage get a mention?

Yes.

We already knew DirectStorage was coming, it was announced almost a year back. It’s just offloading texture decompression to GPU shaders combined with batching requests.

I’ll patiently wait for the “All the Windows 11 Features Not Mentioned During Live Event” articles, like the ones we see for Apple events. That’s usually the interesting QoL stuff.