Windows This One Goes to 11

Just keep in mind if you use the various “cleanup” “tweak” whatever you want to call it utilities recommended here, most are doing things that aren’t documented and guaranteed stable, so be prepared for the occasional extra-“exciting” monthly updates.

They were sticking with Windows 10 forever too, and now it’s got less than a year of security updates remaining. But certainly Windows 11 has long-term support in the foreseeable future.

The guy who said that was a developer evangelist and not an executive in charge.

For a year, I’ve enjoyed Windows 11. It’s been great.

But in the last month when it goes to do an update, I’ve been getting the weirdest error ever: after about 8% of updating, it tells me that my computer does not meet the specs for Windows 11.

I grumble to myself “It’s already running bloody Windows 11, you doofuses.” But…yeah, it persists. It thinks that my system is using non-UEFI drives. I have checked all my drives, and all are GPT. And, in fact, my motherboard won’t even POST, much less boot, a non-UEFI OS disk.

I have tried unplugging all external drives, etc. No luck.

Any ideas out there?

gpt

Make sure secure boot is still set in BIOS?

see if this offers any suggestions as to why:

Thanks! I gave both a try (I did have secure boot disabled), but alas, still no go. The WhyNotWin11 detection script gave me a full greenlight. Which – I kind of maybe expected, since I already am running Windows 11.

Just weird.

Maybe your CMOS battery is low and it’s forgetting BIOS settings.

Have you tried deleting the WIndows 11 Update folder (which will force windows update to start over)? Boot into safe mode and delete the directory:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

Once you reboot, it should then force Windows Update to re-download any and all updates needed, which may fix your issue.

You can also run a check on the system files and see if there’s something borked there. Run command prompt as administrator, then:

dism.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/Restorehealth

and once that’s complete:

sfc /scannow

If these find and repair anything, try rebooting, then running windows update again.

Overall, though, definitely a weird problem.

Holy shit @Aleck, you’re a freaking genius (I mean, that’s pretty well established here. What I’m saying: more of a genius. Super genius, if you want.)

So I read your post, and it makes sense. But before I want to do a safe mode boot and delete the update folder, I wanna try the things you mention that seem a little less intrusive/radical. So I do a dism for scanhealth and checkhealth. No issues. I do an sfc/scannow. It finds some stuff and repairs it, but update once again fails and tells me my computer that is running Windows 11 isn’t Win 11 compatible.

OK. So…gonna have to delete that update folder. Which…I can never remember the exact steps to start in Safe Mode (I liked it more when tapping f8 did it…). I know that it’s SHIFT + Restart. And so it reboots and gives me the options, and I can never remember after clicking advanced options which one to choose and selected Troubleshoot by mistake. Which in my 30 years of working in Windows back to 3.01, asking Windows to self-heal has been about as effective as crossing my fingers, spitting in a hat, saying a rosary, and laying on hands.

But OK, do your fake windows repair routine and I’ll doublecheck the steps to start in Safe Mode and do that again.

But…just on a weird hunch and because I’ve been doing a LOT of build testing at work for our dev team (which has drilled into me, do one thing and test, then another and test, never do two things and test.) So I’ve done one thing, even though it’s a nonsense thing that never works. And I click update.

And SWEET FANCY MOSES, WINDOWS 11 IS FREAKING UPDATING!!!

Holy crap. So OK, it wasn’t exactly the total steps you recommended, but it sure as hell set me down the path that fixed this. Which, whew.

Solved! If we stilled lived in the same metroplex, I would absolutely owe you a beer or three.

THANK YOU all of you who took time to respond. And thank you especially Aleck, for steering my dumb ass down the right path!

@triggercut , it sounds like you found that path all on your own! Congrats! It wouldn’t even occur to me to recommend Windows’ self healing, since, well, I’ve had much the same experience.

Glad you got it working!

Emptying the update cache, which is the thing you were going to do by deleting that folder, is one of the things the built-in troubleshooter does. So in a way, you followed directions!

The self-healing was the friends we made along the way.

Useful info that I did not know. Thank you.