Windows XP Service Pack 1

FUBAR Alert!!!

You need to take all appropriate precautions (backups, have program CDs handy, etc) before installing XP SP1 using Windows Update in IE. I kicked off the SP1 install yesterday afternoon and the install hung at the very end of the process :shock: I was bluescreened with some sort of kernal error and a physical memory dump. Rebooting my PC resulted in an endless reboot cycle. Safe mode, last known good configuration, no recovery option worked. I called MS and spent about 2 - 2.5 hours over 2 different calls to get my PC in some sort of working order. The install hang using Windows Update is a known issue and the only current resolution is a Windows XP reinstall :evil: Update at your own risk.

A couple of positive notes:

The MS support people were very patient and walked me through all the necessary steps. At one point, I was put on hold so the tech could see if there were any other options than a reinstall to fix the problem. While I was on hold, I had to go pick up my daughter from gymnastics class (10 min round trip). Lacking any way to tell the tech I would be back, I turned on my stereo in hopes that he would realized that he was on “hold” on my end. Luckily he did understand and was there when I returned.

On my second call, the MS tech saved me from divorce and/or suicide as he helped me recover my wife’s outlook express folders. I probably would have found them but I needed to find them NOW :!: as my wife returned home yesterday and I had FUBAR’d here PC.

I am not only leaving gaming, but the PC upgrade business as well :)

-DavidCPA

hmm, i did the SP1 via Windows Update on my laptop (winxp home), and while it took a long while, it worked just fine.

YMMV.

-mike ‘mlatin’ latinovich

My SP1 experience:

Downloaded, installed, ran 3DMark, crashed during benchmark, Ran it again, crashed. Uninstalled SP1, system lock. Reboot, went to uninstall again, computer tells me that it is uninstalled, but there were some errors while uninstalling.

I feel a re-format coming on.

I have to say I think that’s pretty impressive.

I don’t even bother installing such a major update through Windows Update because of the potential problems that could come up. To me, a service pack is like a new version of Windows; it’s always better to do a clean install rather than upgrade over your current installation.

That’s why I slipstreamed SP1 onto an XP CD. That way, all you need to do is backup your important data, reformat your hard drive, and just install XP again with SP1 is already included on the CD. Like I said, I’ve had absolutely no problems whatsoever with SP1 by doing it that way.

Did anyone see the Screensavers last night?

They demonstrated the security flaw in XP that Service Pack 1 fixes. It’s possible for someone to create a hypertext link on a webpage or in an email that will delete files on an XP computer. Something to do with the Help system apparently. They also showed the file that you can delete or rename to fix this flaw: uplddrvinfo.htm. So if you’re unable to get SP1 right away, you might want to nuke that file so you don’t have to worry about losing data.

-Trevor

Yep, I installed it on my laptop last night. It was painless.

Probably because I have games on the drive. Anecdotal evidence in this group indicates that removing all PC games from your drive will result in a problematic installation. :twisted:

I did note during the installation that it warned me at least twice that I should back up data and create a system recovery backup, so obviously Microsoft treats this as more risky than your typical “Windows Update” patch.

The only problem I ran into was that I had to edit my boot.ini to get rid of the customized boot screen I had. Probably not something that 99% of the world would run into.

And what is the command to do this slipstream thing? Is this something for mere mortals?

Slipstream is taking the SP1 code and integrating it into your XP CD code, so instead of having an XP CD, you have an XP CD with SP1 already built in. You don’t have to install SP1 because it’s already been “slipstreamed” into XP. It saves a lot of hassles, especially if you’re a network admin and you have to manage dozens of systems. Instead of having to install XP and then install SP1, you can just take one CD and install it all in one swoop.

Instructions are fairly simple. Below is a link to slipstream SP2 for Win2K. Just modify it for XP and you’ll be fine. (If you’re going to make a bootable XP CD, you’re going to need something like Roxio. I didn’t make a bootable CD, since my system won’t boot off a CD. In that case, you need to get the XP setup disk program off Microsoft, a bunch of floppies, and then make a couple of modifications to the bootup floppies so they’ll work with SP1).

http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/slipstream.html

I should also add, those Win2K slipstream instructions on The Tech Guide page need a little modification to work with XP.

Instead of using “/s”, I believe you need to use “-s”.

So instead of…
“c:\sp2\i386\update\update.exe /s:c:\win2k”

you should have…
“c:\sp2\i386\update\update.exe -s:c:\win2k”

I need to focus on some other things right now plus I can’t find enough time to really get into a groove with new games. I am angling for a manager’s position that would require a relocation plus my wife may be starting a new business that would require some of my time. Something had to go and it just seemed like a good time to get out of gaming.

Before I put the stuff on e-bay, I’ll probably post a list of items (games, periphials, etc) on this board to see if they interest anyone. Not looking to get much for them, but need the space in my house.

Back on topic, 133 MB download for the service pack :shock: Thank goodness for DSL :D

-DavidCPA[/quote]

Ok, 3 months is all I could take. I reinstalled Diablo 2 this past weekend as I have been missing the gaming scene. Didn’t even get around to selling my gaming stuff. I won’t game as much as before, but I like the hobby.

I also didn’t get that manager’s position so I have more time to game as a peon.

-DavidCPA