Winged Migration

Fuck the Matrix! I just got back with the family from seeing Winged Migration, a documentary (nominated for an Oscar for what that’s worth) on the migration of birds that, seriously, was one of the most visually astonishing films I’ve ever seen. It’s pretty much just 90 minutes of pure flight, with occasional narration, tracing different flocks of birds from all over the world as they migrate north, and then south.

This may sound boring to you, but I’m telling you–the cinematography is UNBELIEVABLE. Extreme close-ups of birds in flight for extended periods that will blow your mind.

I’m not much of a nature guy, so I had to be half-dragged to this. But, man, seriously–this is, in terms of sheer visual splendor, one of the coolest movies I think I’ve ever seen.

Here’s the Rotten Tomatos link, for those who care about such things:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/WingedMigration-1121876/

Isn’t this the reason everyone attends E3 every year ?

Wha? 93% from rottentomatoes? 100% from the cream of the crop…

I’m not sure what to make of that. It just seems so unusual to see such collective acclaim for a documentary about migrating birds. Too bad it’s a limitted release. I probalby won’t be able to see it except on the little screen, and it sounds like my wife would love it.

We can wait for the DVD. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

I’m not surprised such a seemingly innocuous subject would be so riveting. Tivo likes to record nature shows for us (primarily on Animal Planet or Discovery), and I’ve seen some fascinating hour long shows with generic titles like “Spiders”, believe it or not. You haven’t lived until you’ve seen the spider species which carries hundreds of its young as a kind of writhing mass all over its own body.

I know it’s going to sound hackneyed, but the depth and breadth of life on this planet is amazing.

Stop looking at Chet’s waistline.