Winter 2016 Midseason New TV Shows Thread

Here is a list of new shows, not sure if it is exhaustive or not: http://www.tvguide.com/special/winter-preview/new-shows/

So, has anyone watched anything new of any note?

I tried out Beowulf, Magicians, and Angel from Hell so far. Beowulf is pretty standard fantasy Norse stuff so far, nothing to write home about. Magicians is sort of college-aged darker Harry Potter. I liked it but my wife didn’t. We both agreed it could have been running on MTV instead of Syfy. Angel from Hell I thought was pretty funny, and I’m interested to see where they go with it.

I’m really looking forward to 11.22.63, Legends of Tomorrow, Lucifer (probably as a guilty pleasure, like Constantine), Shadowhunters, and You, Me, and the Apocalypse.

Also I’m hoping Angie Tribeca is good. I like Rashida Jones a lot and hope this series does her well. It’s also of note because TBS is going to play it’s entire first season (10 episodes) back to back, repeated 5 times in a 25 hour span this Sunday. Then I guess they’ll start showing the second season on a regular weekly schedule.

QT3 Show threads:
Shannara
Colony
Legends of Tomorrow
Shades of Blue
Magicians
Lucifer

You, Me and the Apocalypse is surprisingly good - the run in the UK finished a few months ago, and after a slightly sluggish start (and some dodgy American accents) really kicks into gear towards the end.

Oh, I thought it was a remake (like The Office). It’s an import. Nice, I’ll see if I can find it somewhere online with a proxy or something.

Edit: I had seen a fun trailer, which I can no longer find. But in the meantime, I found what has to be one of the worst trailers in recent memory: Watch You, Me and the Apocalypse Clip: A Different Kind of Apocalypse - NBC.com

Edit 2: I’m sure there are way worse ones out there. :)

I too can’t wait for Angie Tribeca, not only for Rashida Jones but also for Jere Burns. I love Jere Burns.

I wanna see You, Me, and the Apocalypse, that looks great.

Hmm, X Files was missing from this list…

Also, there’s a show with Ray Liotta and Jennifer Lopez with crooked cops, FBI informants and such. That looks really intense. I always forget the name, though.

Not knowing anything I would have put Lucifer at the top of my list of potential early cancellations. The fact that it’s a Sandman spinoff of sorts and is apparently a police procedural may make it a bit more interesting.

— Alan

What they’ve apparently done to Lucifer really nauseates me. Taking one of the best comics ever and making another “eccentric guy helps tough lady cop solve crimes” show is just tragic.

I did watch the Colony pilot which airs later this week. It’s the new alien occupation show from Carlton Cuse starring Josh Holloway. Seems promising.

Yeah, I have a feeling Lucifer is going to be bad and then cancelled. But I don’t read comics so I don’t care about it’s pedigree, I just want a fun show to watch.

Billions, with Paul Giammatti and Damian Lewis premieres Sunday night on Showtime. DVR is set and I’m looking forward to it. Also Vinyl on HBO but I don’t think that starts until some time next month, which means it will have to compete with XCOM 2 for my attention.

I hope Vinyl is good, but not so good that I have to renew HBO immediately. Just good enough that I’ll enjoy catching up when I resubscribe for GoT/Veep/Silicon Valley

The wife is very interested in something called Colony that starts this week because it features Josh Halloway and Lori from Walking Dead. She had me watch a preview of it with her last night. Something about LA being occupied and under martial law by mysterious invaders, blah blah blah. It could turn out to be decent but my gut tells me that it’s going to be another Under the Dome.

Good stuff.

I watched the first ep of The Magicians on Xbox Live for free, and the description above nails it. Harry Potter in college instead of high school. It was entertaining enough to watch for a bit, the end scene upped the stakes nicely. Apparently based on a series of novels by Lev Grossman. Anyone read them?

I did buy the first Magician novel by Lev Grossman on my kindle. But I haven’t had time to read it yet. It’s already a TV series? Wow.

I read the first one. It was ok but the characters were pretty much all fucktards, which made it difficult to like any of them. It may play better on tv but the book didnt make me want to run out and get book #2.

I read the whole trilogy. I did like it. It helps to understand that the author has some serious unresolved issues with the Narnia series. I have no idea if that’s true or not, but it reads that way.

I’m watching the preview for Colony. Looks interesting, but it depends, as always, on the execution. Have set the TiVo to record the first episode.

Also, while it’s not new, I have to plug American Crime again. The first season was riveting, and what I’ve seen of the second one (which has many of the same actors but in different roles)* looks good too. It’s got the guy who played TomMason’s middle son in it, for you Falling Skies watchers.
*obviously it’s an entirely different story.

Season 2 of agent Carter starts next week. Can’t wait!

I watched half the first episode of Shadowhunters on Hulu before I had to head to work. Wow. It makes Shannara look like Game of Thrones. Amazingly terrible.