Winter War

Winter War from Avalon Digital is out on Steam:

I have always been fascinated by this David v. Goliath struggle. The game looks like it is in the same format as the company’s Wars Across the World scenarios. I like the system, although it is not for everyone. The company has been polishing it, and quashed most of the bugs that Wars Across the World had initially.

It certainly sounds interesting.

The game lasts 16 turns, each representing one week between December 1939 and March 1940. One player represents the tiny Republic of Finland, the other has the Soviet Union land and air forces.

• The Soviets have numerous but poorly led and badly organized forces at the start of the game, but their reinforcements are impressive.

• The Finnish must hold desperately against the initial onslaught and vastly superior strength of their enemy, thanks to their superior quality and ideal defensive positions, hoping to gain enough time when threats of Allied Intervention discourages the Russian bear.

Be careful however of the potential weakness in number on the Finns side, as well as the uncertainty of Stalin’s resolve on the other…

Estimated Playtime: 2h30.

As (what appears to be an) asymmetrical game, it already has my attention. I do like the ides of it being limited to a fixed number of turns, and the estimated play time, but even though the description promises:

The game’s event cards allow full replay ability thanks to the numerous various situations that they create on the diplomatic, military, political or economical fields.

I do worry that victories might rely a little too heavily on mere puzzle-solving or good draws. But I’ll have to see it in action to see how that’s avoided.