Wireless: I can't get what I want

I currently have:

1. A DSL modem, with no IP address, that acts as a bridge to the 216.231.36.1 gateway.
  2. A dumb switch hooked up to the DSL modem and all of my computers.
  3. A set of computers with IP addresses in the 216.231.36.* address range.

What I want to do:

1. Set up my windows 2003 server to handle DHCP requests from wireless connections, giving them the real, routable IPs I own in the 216.231.36.* range.

My problem is I can’t figure out what the hell I need to buy to do this. I picked up a netgear wgt624 wireless router last night, and after much wrangling I was able to get it to properly send outgoing requests from an internal 206 address to the world. However, there didn’t seem to be a way to tell the damn thing to properly route incoming requests to the internal network; it appeared to still think it was in NAT mode no matter what I did to it.

Am I the only person on earth that doesn’t want a private internal network? What the hell do I need to buy? The netgear wg602 WAP manual makes it sound like it might work, but after all the 192* stupidity on the router I want a real recommendation.

DHCP is a local service. If you want DHCP discovery packets to go past a router you have to enable the BOOTP option. Home routers probably don’t come with this capability.

You ought to be able to find a way to do this with your server. Wireless shouldn’t matter as long as it’s all local.

Maybe I need a wireless thingy that’s not a router, then.

The only reason I want the win2003 server to handle DHCP is that every wireless bit I’ve looked at was totally stupid and wouldn’t let you hand out non-contiguous IPs.

How do your current PCs get their IP addresses? From the outside gateway or an outside DHCP server I presume? You can’t really setup another internal DHCP server to override what that other server is boss of.

Each PC should currently be requesting an IP from whatever server is doling them out. Just plug the wireless router into the dumb switch you already have and turn off any IP management functionality it has; i.e. make it simply a dumb switch like your current one (except with less wires).

Apparently the uplink port was hardcoded to NAT or something. Sticking everything into the LAN ports fixed it all; easy routing to the outside world, and I don’t even need to burn a real IP on the wireless interface. DHCP passes right through.

Apparently the uplink port was hardcoded to NAT or something. Sticking everything into the LAN ports fixed it all; easy routing to the outside world, and I don’t even need to burn a real IP on the wireless interface. DHCP passes right through.

If you’re not using NAT, you’re not using the router functionality. I’m not familiar with your hardware, but I can disable features on my wireless router until it’s just an access point, too.

The only reason I want the win2003 server to handle DHCP is that every wireless bit I’ve looked at was totally stupid and wouldn’t let you hand out non-contiguous IPs.

I get around this by putting every network applicance that I want to get a static address at one end my address space. Then I just make the pool of addresses to distribute smaller by however many addresses I have already assigned. Sort of like reserving IPs in W2003.

As you said, you can just pick up an access point instead of a router. I think if you patch the wireless router on to your LAN via the onboard switches LAN ports, instead of via the “WAN” port, you can acomplish the same thing without configuring anything on the wifi router.

EDIT: Oops, seems as if you tried the above on your own. :)

If you want a more sophisticated router setup that will let you use public IP’s in your LAN, I’d recommend a free linux firewall if you have an old spare PC that you can slap 2 NIC’s in. I’m a big fan of Astaro Security Linux (astaro.com) but Clark Connect and IP Cop aren’t bad either. They’re free ISO downloads that install linux and firewall on your PC with almost no interaction from the user :)

You can then administrate them via a web browser.

So the Netgear WGT624 worked just fine with the cisco B card on the old laptop I was using, but noooooo, it totally refuses to see the onboard wireless on the new laptop. Piece of shit. I can’t take it back because I’ve already mailed in the rebate.

Oh well, this linksys WAP one I picked up today works like a charm, and has a great firmware hacking community.

Anyone want a Netgear WGT624 wireless router? It’s free! It might even work!

Just out of curiosity, what would the firmware hacking allow, and what sort of resources could you point me to learn more about it?

http://www.google.com/search?q=wap54g+firmware

Higher power output, telnet mode, better logging, a bunch of stuff. Hooray for the open source chowderheads!

Ahhh suck. No hacks available for the BEFW11S4. :/