Wireless router recommendations

I got the AC2200 3 pack because I thought $199 was too good a deal to pass up. It has worked like a charm. Yeah, it is slower than the AC3000 spec wise, but I don’t have any complaints. We’ve got a bunch of devices using it - 3 computers (1 that we use for steaming netflix and such), several phones, 2 iPads, wifi printer, 3 echo dots.

I don’t think I have needed to reboot the router at all yet.

I imagine they had a great deal on it for Prime Day since I’m looking at it now. :)

I bought it during the black friday or December sale period, so it’s been a while.

We have the AC3000 2 unit set. These have been very good & have supported up to 30 devices in the house during work hours. No big issues excepting that the firmware was a little under-baked at first (but that’s long past).

Diego

Amazon had a $30 price drop and a $20 coupon on the AC2200 set, which dropped it down to $220 today, so bit the bullet on that.

I expect you’ll be happy. I almost never even think the word ‘router’ anymore, since buy mine.

Seems to be working pretty well so far. I have a couple weeks to try it out before I can’t return it to Amazon, but I imagine it will work out. If we eventually jump to the gigabit service I might look at
using a powerline adapter to run traffic from my office to the router, but this should be fine until then.

It continues to perform well. The only time I’ve had a drop was Cox service actually going down.

Yeah, they’ve been pretty great.

Why I can’t get more than 25mbit/s when I connect router to ruter ?

When you connect them together via WiFi ? Typically because that halves the available bandwidth by using some of it for backhaul instead.

That’s why you do one of these:

1. Switch to wired backhaul
  2. Change to a mesh network or similar that has extra antennas for wireless backhaul

Diego

Already wired (LAN to WAN ; LAN to LAN ) no difference …

You need to isolate whether its a network problem or a wireless problem. Test the computer wired on the cable for the AP, and if it’s ok, then go back wireless and use a tool like inSSIDer to check the wireless signal strength and channel usage.

I added a single Ubiquiti NanoHD in standalone mode to my network six months ago and disabled onboard wifi on my Asus RT-AC3200, which replaced my failed Nighthawk 7000, which replaced my failed Billion 7xxx, which replaced my failed…

My wifi performance has been night and day. No more random wifi issues, odd devices that struggle to stay connected (looking at you, Sonos), single consolidated SSID across radios. Breeze to set up and have not bothered with any of the other advanced management capabilities.

Should have done it years ago. I have (too slowly) come to realise that consumer routers wifi is rubbish.

There seems to be a trend in in ‘prosumer’ wifi products smashing the market at the moment, but they all seem expensive compared to a decent AP from a semi-enterprise vendor? Notwithstanding the fact many enterprise products won’t run standalone without controllers. That said, Ubiquiti, Aruba, Ruckus, etc all offer AP’s that can be run standalone for less than the investment in these prosumer platforms.+

So, we just moved into a new place and while I have a mesh network that should work fine, I was concerned about getting signal to the detached garage.

I ended up going with a pair of these:

I only set them up yesterday, but they seem dynamite so far, so much so that I ordered another pair for the two places we will have TVs. This is the first time I’ve used anything Powerline related. Thanks to those who have mentioned it previously.

Can you only use one pair of these at a time, or can you add more?

Do both devices need to be on the same circuit in the breaker box?

Yes, you can add more. They have to be on the same circuit to PAIR them, but then you can move them elsewhere. I actually forgot to try plugging one in the garage before I put it in the upstairs bedroom to see how the signal was, but there’s good signal both upstairs and on the opposite end of the house. The second pair will be here tomorrow and I can give you an update then.

What speed are you getting?

We had a set installed for a while, but found that speed was a bit less than ideal and, more importantly, they were sometimes unreliable due to power line interference.

They might be great assuming your power is clean.

Diego

I actually bought a pair years ago. I can’t remember why I put them into storage. I think because they didn’t end up being an improvement over the shitty wifi I had, and I wanted to resell them. Also, I think the ones I bought only supported having a single pair per circuit.