Wireless router recommendations

What’s Moca?

Ethernet over coax cable.

Well they are smooth and curvy.

Thanks everyone. I’d also rather not use powerline. I’ll go check out this MoCA stuff a little more…but I really only have a little problem with wifi coverage. I’m just blinded by the new bling.

Because…? Sure, it’s not gigabit, but if the only client is an access point, the powerline adapter isn’t the bottleneck in bandwidth. Particularly if it’s primarily used to share Internet data.

I’ve tried very early versions of powerline adapters, and they run very hot. I don’t want something like that plugged in 24/7. Maybe they’re better now? (Of course, no one notices if the AC adapter for the cable adapters runs hot also…)

The MoCA cable stuff is slower at <200Mbps, while powerline is around 500Mbps.

So, tired of dead zones and irritated with all the downsides of extenders, I replaced my N-era, Netgear N600 with an Nighthawk N7000.

HOLY SHIT. I didn’t realize you could push 5Ghz through that many walls.

Replaced my Netgear 3500L with a TP-link Archer 7 AC1750 dual band AC router. I did so primarily because I couldn’t get the Netgear to stop exhibiting really high latency whenever my kids turned their Kindles on. And the new router does the exact same thing. I can run a continuous ping to Google, see high 20ms as the average for long periods, and the very second just one Kindle finishes booting that ping time shoots into the 600-900ms range and stays there. I’ve Googled around, searched KBs, and can’t find a fix for it. Any suggestions?

What a weird problem. Login to your router and try to find out if the kindle is hogging all your bandwidth somehow. If so, something is clearly wrong.

Also try flashing the kindle’s firmware.

Should add I see this on my computer which is cabled to the wireless router. I already flashed the latest firmware, don’t see an option in the browser to observe bandwidth usage per device. I suspect it’s causing packet loss, which manifests for me as high latency (noticed it while playing Diablo 3).

Does the firmware have a bandwidth usage chart?

EG/ http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Tomato_Firmware_-Bandwidth_Real_Time.PNG/600px-Tomato_Firmware-_Bandwidth_Real_Time.PNG

Installed Wifi Analyzer to look at channels, bounced those around a little, didn’t really help much. Decided for shits 'n giggles to switch the Kindle from dhcp to static, used dns entries of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. and viola, ping times immediately dropped to high 20s.

Wasted 30-40 minutes online chatting with Amazon’s support, which literally had no suggestions at all.

Edit: Nope, not fixed, cycled power on the HDX 7 and ping times shot right back up to 600s and higher.

If it’s packetloss, a ping will show it. Install MTR and ping www.yahoo.com, see if you really have packetloss or just high latency.

It’s clearly not a wifi issue if your desktop is wired.

Thanks for the tip, just ran it and no packet loss. It is weird how it crushes the router when it boots up though. Ran MTR and had good pings until the HDX7 booted, and then I got into the 500s and 600s.

I think I’m going to connect it to my computer, pull as much off it as I can, and then do a factory reset on it.

Yep, time to reset the kindle.

I didn’t want to start a new thread, but do you all have a recommendation for a good wireless networking card? The guy who I am helping isn’t local so a non-internal one would be the least problematic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can buy USB wireless adapters. They’re fairly cheap if you go with the generic Chinese manufacturer, but the downside is the drivers might be a bit flaky at times. I’ve bought a couple and they work fine for a while, but then something happens and Windows suddenly doesn’t like it. I suppose the more expensive, brand-name ones might be more reliable.

Just bought a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk to replace my Asus RT-66AC and will report back if it’s an actual upgrade or not.

I’ve been using a Nighthawk for 9 months. Really like it. Punches a signal through the house pretty darn well. It’s technically an AC1900-class router, whereas the RT-66AC is AC1750, so it’s should be a tad bit faster/more powerful, but probably won’t notice it.

Not really, AC can only go up to 1300 Mb/sec and you need a pretty good laptop to even get that, with 3x3 stream MIMO. Those router speed classifications can be really deceptive, as they add up the speed from the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands.

The main advantage of the Nighthawk over the RT-66AC is that the Nighthawk has two 5Ghz radios, so you can put your N and 1-stream AC devices (cheap laptops, phones, most tablets) on one radio and your 2 or 3 stream AC devices (high-end laptops, ipad air 2, etc) on the second, which really helps keep AC speeds up.

FYI, Amazon UK has the Nighthawk R7000 for half off as part of their “Black Friday” deals.