Wisconsin governor goes bonkers

The Democrats victory in the Senate may well prove illusory. The legislature has adjourned for the year and some projections have the Republicans picking up 2 to 4 Senate seats in the fall general election. So the Republicans could be back in control before the Senate convenes again.

Adjourned for the year? It’s June.

This shit is so depressing. If the spending on both sides had been somewhat near equal I could actually believe that most Wisconsin voters hadn’t had the wool pulled over their eyes. On the bright side, I guess turnout was high.

Generally speaking about the direction the country is going though (toward greater inequality and generally to hell in a handbasket), I can’t help feeling that the U.S. is doing what Central Europe did in the 1930s in the face of economic crisis–turning to fascism. To be sure, it’s happening slowly, but we’re headed there. The Tea Party is the camel’s nose under the tent.

Four years ago we elected a liberal black president and now we are turning to Fascism. Politics change fast in America.

I don’t think “voted against the recall” is a significant explanation; from the exit polls Walker won on “job creation” 54-45, which is slightly more than his final margin of victory.

Non-partisan pre-election polls showed predicted about the same outcome as teh result.

Obama is only “(American) Liberal” by today’s distorted American definition of the term. In the 1960’s (as long as he was all-white) he could have comfortably run as a Rockefeller Republican. I voted for him because he was the lesser of two evils, but that’s what we’ve come to as a nation. And wealth/income inequality in this country is as great now as it was in the 1890’s, and has been increasing since the 1970’s. And the worst part is, the rulers have many/most of us convinced it’s for our own good.

Not fascism, but inwards. The last time that happened, the US decided that it needed to impress the world with it’s strength of moral character. It didn’t end well… (something about turning the cities into a battleground with orgcrime)

Yes, most state legislatures don’t stay in session past Memorial Day. Only a handful have year-long sessions. And a few, like Texas, convene only every other year.

I evidently got into the wrong career. :)

The salary’s about $50,000.

That’s more than four times what I make; sign me up!

California will probably (I am assuming the proposed proposition will get enough signatures) be voting for a “part time” legislature in November.

Fascism would be a welcome change from the plutocracy/oligarchy we’ve sunk in to at this point. At least we could be serving the state instead of some rich asshole’s bottom line.

The bitter cynic in me would say, “Well, yes, that’s the BASE pay…” :)

Being elected to political office is just the first phase in the true game, which is to become a well paid lobbyist.

That we can most definitely agree on. Government work itself is small potatoes compared to where it gets you, and that’s a huge problem.

Walker exempted public safety unions from his attacks on the other public unions.

The Milwaukee Police and Fire unions even endorsed Walker in the recall election.

On the other hand, here in Ohio, the public safety unions were not exempted from last year’s anti-union bill. Guess who led the effort to overturn Senate Bill 5?

Pretty savvy move on Walker’s part.

How can people NOT see that the long term project of the ideological Right in this country is to take us back to the 1890’s and repeal not only the Great Society and the New Deal, but the Progressive Era reforms as well? Give it a couple of decades, but that’s where they want to take this, make no mistake.

Because it is a bullshit claim you are making and it is not true. That is why anyone rational and who has half a brain cell doesn’t see the fantasy world you are making up in your head.

Hmm, Brett makes an excellent point with no links or information of any kind to back it up. I’m with him.