Today’s Press Briefing brought to you by John Kelly.
Wisdom and Aphorisms from President Trump: Great Leader, Great Teacher, Great Supreme Commander, Great Helmsman of our Nation
And they are cheering him. So there’s that.
Of course. He’s one of their own!
In a meeting with Senate Democrats last week, President Donald Trump’s top national security aide had a message for those worried that the administration may scuttle the Iran nuclear deal: If Trump doesn’t have to see it, he won’t be able to kill it.
The point National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster conveyed, according to a congressional Democratic aide, was that “[Trump] wants this out of sight and out of mind.”
McMaster was more subtle and careful in his words when he hosted a group of roughly 12 lawmakers at the White House, conspicuously timed with the president out of town. But that was the impression he left, three sources familiar with the briefing tell The Daily Beast.
Cross-posting this from the NK thread. Can you imagine His Orangeness actually going into that scary little treaty signing room?
President Donald Trump appeared confused about a longstanding military tradition on Wednesday night.
While speaking with Fox News’ Sean Hannity at an Air National Guard hangar in Middletown, Pennsylvania, Trump paused as loudspeakers began playing the tune, “Retreat,” in the distance.
It’s part of a firmly rooted tradition that predates the American Revolutionary War; the US military tune signals the end of the official duty day on military installations.
“What a nice sound that is,” Trump said, as the tune began playing. “Are they playing that for you or for me?”
“They’re playing that in honor of his ratings,” Trump quipped, answering his own question to Hannity. “He’s beating everybody.”
Greg Sargent op-ed (turning into one of my favorite WaPo op-ed writers and twitter follow). The thing is by the time 2020 rolls around I’m afraid the MSM will have so normalized trump he’ll be a favorite to win; feels like being a rat in a learned helplessness experiment.
The most likely explanation for all this is that it’s pure rage and spite. In a remarkable moment, Sen. Joni Ernst ® gently suggested that Trump may be undermining an effort in her home state of Iowa to shore up the individual markets because he is upset over the failure of repeal. On the dreamers, Trump himself has spoken compassionately of them and has seemed open to reasonable dealing on their fates — yet now his desire to boast of wins before roaring rally crowds puts them in peril.
It is not easy to grapple with the staggering levels of bad faith and sheer unbridled malevolence that characterize Trump and his administration. It sometimes seems as if we haven’t hit on the language we need to do justice to it all. But there is a thread running directly from Corker’s suggestion that Trump is unfit for the presidency to these latest moves on immigration and health care, and to the harm they may end up doing to millions.
Any member of Congress that really loves this country should see that Trump is unfit and dangerous and be working to remove him from office. It’s more important to throw red meat to the deranged base, I guess.
Yeah, TPM has never been the same since he left.
Theory: Trump once asked what was a really good movie.
“Well, I like the Star Wars trilogy.”
“Which is the best? I only watch the best.”
“Definitely Empire Strikes Back - that’s the second film.”
“Okay, I’ll watch that tonight.”
At one point, Trump saw Vader utter, “I am altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further” after Lando Calrissian complained and thought, “Wow, that sounds badass - people like Vader, right? That’s my new thing.” Then he saw how the Empire kicked butt throughout the film, including encasing that person who didn’t respect borders and laws in carbonite, obliterating the base of those 99%ers, and then Darth slicing the hand off of that politically correct pansy Luke after he rejected and incredibly generous offer. He probably thought “I bet it’s going to be that much tougher to pull yourself up by your bootstraps with only one hand, loser!”
This has since shaped his understanding of how government should work;
- Surround yourself with as many people who will unquestioningly follow your whims; bonus points if they idolize people who were called stormtroopers, even if it was in German.
- If you see one group that’s mostly white and another group that’s orange, brown, and other colors (and especially if led by a woman), your team is the white team.
- Avoid colder climates, because they have wampas. A golf course in Florida is probably your best bet.
- Crush those beneath you with overwhelming force and without mercy. Hint - everyone is beneath you.
- Border patrols are great, but sometimes the good guys have ion cannons which can make them less useful. In that case, hire bounty hunters/civilian militias.
- Force choke those in your party who disappoint you, then give their jobs to the first available person who will toe the line, regardless of competency.
- Did a smart, charming black man run something you want for yourself? Take it over and make it miserable for everyone but your people. Darn community organizers.
- Slice off body parts from people if they go against you, family or otherwise. If people are watching, maybe call them “little” and “loser” because you’re warning them it’s going to happen in the future and they have no chance to win.
- Go to great lengths to capture or kill people who don’t follow your rules, regardless of the reason why. If they’re that orange/brown/whatever group, all the better. Remember - you didn’t give them permission to be on that planet, so whatever happens is on them.
In a speech Friday, Trump said he’d recently “met with the president of the Virgin Islands” to discuss the recent hurricanes that have devastated Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and the island.
But Trump could not have spoken to the “president of the Virgin Islands” because, of course, he is the president of the U.S. Virgin Islands, whose residents are U.S. citizens.
The response form the Virgin Islands’ governor’s office is great.
“I would not want to in any way involve the governor of the Virgin Islands in any national dispute in the media about what the president knows about the relationship between the United States and the U.S. Virgin Islands,” Sam Topp, deputy communications director for Governor Mapp, tells Newsweek.
“It doesn’t serve our purpose to participate in the national hoopla over whether Donald Trump is making competent comments or not. Just look at the documents that govern the relationship [between the United States and the U.S. Virgin Islands], and you can determine how relevant or irrelevant, or advised or ill-advised, his comments were. There’s no president of the United States other than the president of the United States,” Topp adds.
Oh, that is outstanding.
“I don’t want to participate in the hoopla about whether the president is a fucking moron”
“But I will.”
Man, that president of the Virgin Islands is a real fucking idiot.
Wow, this 5-dimensional chess Trump is playing is truly beyond me.
Here’s the video.