The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

In 2011 Trump was markedly more lucid than in 2015, just as 2015 Trump was more capable than what we have now.

Hopefully we are approaching his half life.

54%20AM

Almost all of my ultra-right wing friends (granted, all one of them) always referred to Obama as Barry. This was also the same person who said that Obama wasn’t his president, but after DJT was elected, the libtards had to suck it up and accept DJT as their president, becase, 'Merica.

That doesn’t surprise me. I’m just surprised to see it here. It has serious racist roots, i.e. the time-honored racist approach of treating grown black men as boys.

I sometimes refer to the loathsome tangerine carbuncle as “Donnie” to subtly show contempt which might otherwise go unnoticed.

So I always thought “Barry” was racist-neutral.

Same. I mean, people call Trump a lot of names too. Donnie is used a lot. There probably is some racial aspect to it, but it isn’t as racist as all of the muslim stuff they were saying, so I guess the signal to noise ratio is enough that Barry didn’t stand out to me.

It is only conscious effort that keeps me from posting the Lebowski ‘shut the fuck up Donnie’ meme every time I see something he says.

They both are used to demean and diminish the target. The underlying motives are the differentiator. Trump due to being a complete piece of shit and, for many, Obama because he was black.

Holy shit dude, get a grip. Shit, is that also a secret racist phrase I just used?

Not to ask for an example, but I even live in the South and need some sort of example for what you are referring to. I understand completely the reference to calling someone a, “boy,” for example. I’ve even heard old racist statements referring to someone with slave like names. But Barry? Or by their first name? He actually used Barry for a while as his name. I’m lost on the connection to it being racist. Evidently I have some learning to do.

There’s a lot of context being forgotten in this thread. ‘Barry’ was what Obama actually went by for quite some time. When used in a place like a (non-racist) internet forum, I always saw it as a way to make him familiar and closer. The far-right was always way more likely to call him Barak HUSSEIN Obama. I don’t think Trump ever went by Donnie, and its use usually seems an attempt to make him sound childish. As if he needs any help…

I agree and to what stummer said:

Surely it’s the diminishing of someone as President because they don’t like them, not that they are referring to their past name in a racist context?

In short, the idea is that black men are not men, so they are called by their first names, in particular by child nicknames. Obama stopped using Barry when he was 19.

Thank you for that wise contribution.

Here’s a reference to the wider topic of what it means to call people of color by their first name, never mind a nickname.

Man I’m certainly not on top of the game of understanding, so I’ll defer to others here. In my eyes though, that’s a bit of a stretch to be racist. “Donnie or Don,” for Trump? “George or W,” for Bush, etc? “Slick Willy,” for Clinton?

Are they all not just a way to demean the President?

This is a movie, Barry, about Barack Obama. That was his name for a time. I don’t really see an issue here.

Sure, but they don’t carry the same connotation because they don’t have the same history. And I don’t doubt for a minute that the impetus to push ‘Barry’ was racist. Do you doubt it?

I don’t see any reason to believe that the usage of the name Barry in this thread was intended to be racist at all.

Who said it was?

I doubt it.