The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

Yeah, and there’s a thing called context. There are many non-racist reasons why you might call a person by their first name or a nickname. It must be something to have your mind jump to the most racially charged interpretation of every social interaction.

Based on how Trump seemed to have brought racism out of the half-hidden GOP shadows into the full light, I would lend -some- credence to it being used in a racist way. That being said, as I mentioned, it gives me pause if the use of a first name can be taken that strongly as being demeaning to some.

Of course there are. There are non-racist reasons why you might call someone boy, too, but that doesn’t make it okay in this context, does it?

Thank you for that.

Is it OK to use a person’s race as a tool to dress somebody down and score points in an internet discussion? Nobody was talking about race until you brought it up.

Have you stopped beating your children?

I don’t have children but that’s a pretty shitty thing to say to a person.

Guys it’s a variant of “have you stopped beating your wife,” meant to point out a question whose premises are unfair, not a specific insult.

He’s not accusing anybody of anything. It’s a rhetorical device, demonstrating that your statement assumed something that may or may not have been true, but with a phrasing that’s impossible to refute without sidestepping the question.

What context are you talking about? Do you think someone in this thread called him Barry because they were being racist, or even “non-racist-ly” demeaning?

When Timex said he didn’t think anyone in this thread was using it that way, you were quick to respond with “Who said it was?”, but I don’t understand what your point is if you’re not accusing someone here of using it wrong. Can you clarify that?

Yeah… If there’s no suggestion that anyone did anything wrong, then we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

When he was elected I was part of a forum that included quite a few wingnuts. When it came out that he’d gone by “Barry” in school they latch onto it as a cudgel. We libtards took it back as an endearment. it drove them crazy

I distinctly remember “Barry” being a term of affection used by Obama supporters too.

In which I remind everyone that Scott knew exactly who Baddog007 was referring to, but was just stirring up shit for the sake of stirring up shit.

I meant the context of being aware of the history and nonetheless offering it as a way to demean someone in an ostensibly non-racist way. Again, I have accused no one here of that.

Well then I guess let the record show I have also not directly accused you of insinuating anything and then trying to weasel out of it.

Very well.

Do we high-five now or hug or what?

I hug you without reservation!

Yes, exactly. Thank you both for pointing that out in my absence. I thought it was obvious, but clearly not.

Which one of you gets to be the flag?