The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

Yep, someone described it as a legion of doom, with the worst of the worst from both sides of the aisle.

They voted for Donald Trump. Common sense doesn’t enter into it.

That’s not the actual aim. The actual point is to get or allow people to act in fear, because fear gives him control. As a parent of a toddler, who knew all the science, even I was afraid of the first time my son got his vaccinations. I read up on Thimerosal and we discussed the best ways to space out the vaccines. But even knowing the facts I was still afraid and watched my boy like a hawk after those shots. Science calms those fears when adults are in charge, and schools you to act appropriately. The problem here is that we don’t have an adult going into the White House, and so people with that tinge of fear will feel allowed to react to fear, instead of to facts. The government is giving them permission to act in fear.

It’s like that old asshole who sucker punched the protester at a Trump rally. Trump didn’t say, “Punch that black man.” He just said, “In the good old days this wouldn’t happen, because they used to treat them very very rough.” So, it was a directive disguised as a permission slip. He can always deny it, because he can pretend he never signed it.

Yes. But regular people will bear the brunt of this. And crushing the poor under the heel of his boot has never been bad for Donald Trump. Or for the Republican Party.

-xtien

Unlikely, since vaccination is legislated at the state level. There are no federal vaccination laws.

They could easily pass a federal law that just overrides all the state laws in one fell swoop.

No, it’s not that easy. First, it would be argued that the feds have no jurisdiction over vaccination requirements. Second, when both federal regulations and local regulations apply, the more stringent regulations are used (e.g. minimum wage). Third, Trump can’t pass laws and Republicans in Congress have no interest in this issue.

No. Making legislation is not the point. The point is creating a groundswell.

-xtien

Sure, that’s a risk. But that’s a risk whenever a popular person endorses anti-vax positions. And despite winning the presidency, Trump is not particularly popular.

Which is why I reserve special hate for persons with a platform who do it. Jenny McCarthy, Donald Trump, RFK Jr. I don’t care who it is. If you are a person who, when they speak, will have an audience that is across the nation? Fuck you, basically. I will refuse to grant such a person civility or respect.

I have cut people out of my life for deciding not to get their kids vaccinated. Using a national platform to encourage that rank stupidity? I would put you in jail, were it up to me.

You don’t have to be particulary popular to spread disease.

He has a small group of people who worship him. A larger group of people who are all like, “Okay, we’ll go along.”

So a small group of people start ignorantly making a fuss about this at the local level. Which further gums up the system. Which messes with schools and fucks with the health care system in little, niggling ways. Which he will then blame on Obama.

It’s a distraction. Almost everything he does is a distraction. Only it might be personal in his case, for whatever weird reason. And it certainly is personal in the case of parents, like @CraigM, whose rage I totally understand.

Again, it’s about control. Or watching the world burn. We’ll see which is which.

I have folks I love in my life who campaigned for this douchebag. When pressed they say, “I voted for Pence.”

It’s really hard not to tell them to fuck off when they say this.

-xtien

Seems to me like the anti-vaxxers will find out first hand next generation that they were wrong.

I would be happy about this, but for all the children that would have to pay for their parents’ groundless fear and ignorance.

https://twitter.com/sippey/status/818502944412684288

This is what burns me the most. There is no way to make people pay for their idiocy without hurting innocents. But I almost think it needs to happen to get the message across.

If it was only the idiots paying, I could almost be persuaded. But what of the kids who can’t get vaccines due to immune system reasons? What of those who the vaccine didn’t take or wore off? What of those who get vaccines, but got the disease anyhow?

WHAT OF THE FACT THAT ALLOWING A RESURGENCE COULD LEAD TO UNTREATABLE FORMS OF THESE DISEASES? OR MUTATE TO MAKE THE VACCINE INEFFECTIVE?

No, no, 1000X no. Do you want to see outbreaks of violence? Start telling people their kids died because a preventable disease due to some charlatan asshat lying about vaccines. And I will be standing right beside them as they call for blood.

No no… be calm. I was responding to Destarius’ portion about being ‘happy’ that the next generation is going to pay. I’m a billion percent in agreement with you, and as mentioned in one of these threads, anti-vaxxers can go DIAF just like GOP supporters.

If we have to relearn hard-won lessons at the cost of untold thousands of lives, then our brains are broken and our species has dim prospects.

I know that you personally weren’t saying we should @Daagar, but this is one of the few hard lines I draw. Short of starting something that leads to nuclear annihilation this is one of the most imminent threats, and one that would lead to some of the ugliest places.

Because if politics are ugly now, if they push this kind of nonsense and I would be on the ground floor to create a liberal opposite to the Tea Party to prevent this.

‘We had to destroy the village to save it’

Boy do I have some bad news for you.

@CraigM Totally with you on the other reasons to be angry about all of this. Children who are unable to vaccinate would be entirely faultless in this debacle and would most likely be among the victims of any anti-vax resurgence.

Sadly, I think this is fait accompli now and we will just have to grit our teeth and bear it while America re-learns this lesson.

No. There will be a price to pay. I will not simply grit my teeth for this.

https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/98/90498-004-CEB880DC.jpg

Or, it would be, were it not for the fact that at every level my representation is non Republican. I’d have to hop the border to take on these traitors directly.