The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

Kasich has done a fantastic job for us here in Ohio. I don’t agree with him on every single issue, but in terms of increasing economic growth, addressing statewide budget concerns, improving education and infrastructure and generally improving Ohio’s national ranking in many categories he’s been a success. The fact that he’s always been vocal in his disapproval of both Trump and the more socially conservative (read as idiotic) members of both our state and national governments only scores him bonus points.

I think a Kasich/Sanders ticket is pretty unlikely to happen, but I could see Kasich paired up with a high-profile moderate GOP face like Susan Collins as VP (or perhaps Nikki Haley) as a direct challenge to Trump/Pence 2020, assuming there even is a Trump/Pence 2020. Both men are dead on though in their prediction that 2018 and 2020 present the biggest opportunity yet for Independent candidates to come on strong. I like the tone both men took in the town hall, that we need to quit with the Conservative vs. Liberal partisan party bullshit and focus on solving the issues the American people need solved. Trump and the GOP have zero response to that, because they’ve only created more issues since taking over, and haven’t solved anything.

No, he hasn’t.

Trump is setting records! (in his own mind)

Did he really say that? Seriously? I don’t know why I’m asking, I should seriously expect the unexpected at this point.

In history? Wow. That’s a lot of politicians. But, for one counter-example that even Trump could grasp, I’d offer up Nelson Mandela.

What a complete snowflake. Does he need a safe space?

That’s quite an assumption you’re making.

Yep. I watched that Town Hall and thought about how much better off the country would be if either of these men were President. I suspect I have a lot of company in thinking that, despite the vast differences in policy between the two.

Did he talked why he is defunding the Coast Guard to build a decorative wall?

Somebody on another board volunteered Abraham Lincoln.

We are currently at war with North Korea. Not in some abstract sense, either, but a real, concrete, declared war sense.

Certainly you wouldn’t want to half ass it. Once you make that step, you need to be prepared for the worst and deal with it.

South Korea is at war with North Korea.

The US never declared war. We assisted South Korea via a UN “police action”.

He can dish it out, but he can’t take it. What a baby.

Five Eyes? Trump is like the Nine-Tailed Fox of presidents.

He thought they were talking about Five Guys.

Attacking N. Korea is inviting a nuclear response from them. It’s a very rash thing to do. We should only do it if we feel there is no alternative. I thought Kasich suggesting a “surgical strike” was a reckless thing to say.

As it was already summed up

That’s a complex and compelling argument you make there. Sure convinced me!

Has he been perfect, no. Did he do some stupid stuff, especially early on, like “Right to Work”, yes. Of course that was overturned by the people of Ohio later on, and to his credit he got the message loud and clear. Over the course of his governorship Kasich has decreased the unemployment rate in Ohio from well above national average in 2008 to below the national average in 2016. Under his Administration, Ohioan’s are paying less taxes than in 2008, and tax credits and restructuring have convinced more companies to come to Ohio than have left, creating job growth and wealth, and he’s done all that while also stabilizing a budget that was in free fall when he took over, turning something like a $2 billion deficit with zero dollars in reserve into a nearly balanced budget with money in the coffers for emergency funding.

Most importantly in this political climate however, John Kasich has stood his ground and worked for what is right for Ohioans instead of flip-flopping and towing the party line. When most Republicans were railing against the ACA and vowing “never!!” when it came to Medicare/Medicaid expansion in their states, Kasich went in front of Ohio’s congress and basically flat out told them we were passing it because it was the right thing to do for Ohioans. His vocal opposition of the more ridiculous Conservative policy proposals (and certain Presidential candidates) show that he is a moderate, a man more concerned with solving problems and passing legislation to benefit his state than with appearing to be a party darling or making TV sound bites.

Ohio was in some serious shit in 2008, almost every metric on the state was in decline. While we are still dealing with the fact that we used to be a heavy manufacturing and farming state, and neither of those industries will ever be what it once was, we are also, 8 years later, operating at a budget surplus with lower unemployment and much higher economic growth (ranked 12th out of 50 states). Now that we’re where we need to be economically, Kasich is shifting focus to healthcare, education and social services, all of which are slightly better than they were, but have lots of room for improvement.

Would I vote John Kasich for President in 2020? Probably not, not if there was a Democrat or Independent candidate who better represented my social and economic ideals. But I still respect the hell out of the guy for saving my state from economic ruin and I wouldn’t be terribly upset if he did win in 2020 even if I didn’t vote for him.

Trumpian logic on full display

Or you know… Lincoln.

Half the nation literally seceded just because he won the election. Then they killed him.