The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

Well, there’s still a nuclear exchange with North Korea, or whomever finally annoys him sufficiently, to look forward to. I’m optimistic.

And this, from a week or two ago, said what I was trying to say better than I could:

Ditto. I worried that the people around him might be competent enough to essentially overthrow our country from within, gradually chipping away at our democratic institutions to usher in a new era of authoritarianism and possibly even fascism but I reassured myself and my friends by saying that Trump has failed spectacularly at everything he has ever done (with the exception of blundering into a victory in the election which occurred in spite of his astonishing incompetence throughout the campaign) and that his presidency would likely be no different.

It’s still a fucking disaster, of course, but it’s not authoritarianism.

Yale’s Dr. Bandy Lee told STAT that over the last few weeks members of Congress or their staff have asked her to discuss how members might convene psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health professionals “to review the president’s mental health, and review it on a periodic basis.” The closed meeting is expected to take place in September, she said.
[…]
The expert panel that Lee was asked to discuss convening would have several members, she said, but it remains to be worked out who would serve, how and by whom they would be chosen, what their mandate would be, and how and when they would offer their opinions to Congress, should the proposal even get off the ground.

On Friday, Lee and four other psychiatrists sent a letter to all members of the U.S. Senate and House arguing that Trump exhibits “severe emotional impediments that … present a grave threat to international security,” and asking Congress to “take immediate steps to establish a commission to determine his fitness for office.” The letter signers are staunch Trump opponents and believe his presidency should end.
[…]
Lee and the other signers of the new letter, including Dr. Lance Dodes, recently retired from Harvard Medical School, argue that Trump’s “alarming patterns of impulsive, reckless, and narcissistic behavior — regardless of diagnosis … put the world at risk,” posing an “imminent danger” that psychiatrists are ethically obligated to warn about.

“The role of honor or, rather, perceived humiliation is often overlooked as a powerful stimulant of international violence,” they write, adding that the “president may not have the capacity to consider an array of possible choices, due to his own emotional needs.” They ask Congress to “take immediate steps to establish a commission to determine his fitness for office.”

“There are not two sides to bigotry and there are not two sides to hatred,” the former California governor told the website ATTN in a video interview. “If you choose to march with the flag that symbolizes the slaughter of millions of people, there are not two sides to that.”
[…]
In the ATTN video, the former governor pleaded with Trump to fulfill his obligation as the leading politician in the United States to unequivocally condemn the hatred and violence of Charlottesville.

“The only way to beat the loud and angry voices of hate is to meet them with louder and more reasonable voices, and that includes you, President Trump,” he said.

Schwarzenegger, an native of Austria who became an American movie star and politician, also spoke directly to those who support the white nationalist movement and its foot soldiers in Charlottesville, drawing on his personal experience with the effects of Nazism in post-World War II Europe.

“I was surrounded by broken men, men who came home from a war filled with shrapnels and guilt, men who were misled into a losing ideology,” said Schwarzenegger, who was born two years after the war ended.

“I can tell you that these ghosts you idolize spent the rest of their lives living in shame, and right now they’re resting in hell.”

Just watched that, it was a good video as his often are.

Yeah, the next round of polls should be interesting.

Yeah, even a couple of oil executives we met yesterday for a business meeting seemed really embarrassed by Trump. They said he should be dissolving the EPA and getting rid of regulations, not “all these other things”.

I was tempted to say that Scott Pruit probably has that well underway. Certainly the dismantling of the EPA will continue under a President Pence, I would think.

That literally, actually sounds like something Hitler would say.

“I am not speaking to the President now, I’m sorry, after what he said about my child.”

Is that the one where his 10 year old son is in charge of?

This seems to be the key line:
"In connection with this elevation, the Secretary of Defense is examining the possibility of separating United States Cyber Command from the National Security Agency. "

Through United States Cyber Command, we will tackle our cyberspace challenges in coordination with like-minded allies and partners as we strive to respond rapidly to evolving cyberspace security threats and opportunities globally.

We’re letting Russia in.

Summary of the last 4 weeks.

Good lord.

That list is amazing.

… Trump will probably see it and say, “Look at all I did. Why doesn’t anyone give me credit!”

It just keeps going and going!

Jesus, Trump is a human train wreck

He is the living embodiment of that Dorothy Parker quote.

“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”

If we could somehow organize a global ignore Trump gag rule, he’s commit suicide.

Well, let’s do that then.