The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

So Trump did indeed use it, borrowing a snippet between two lifelong military guys commiserating over a deep loss and plugged it into condolences to a grieving widow. wtf was he thinking.

Good thing it wasn’t in person. He might have given her the old “chuck on the shoulder.” Y’know, or worse.

I heard how she practically raise the man, along with the 2,000 other children she mentored. But I also heard General Kelly say how she took credit for bringing an FBI building to Miami while seemingly ignore that it was being dedicated to slain FBI agents. So I think it’s likely that she is a typical politician and exaggerates her accomplishments. Honestly, I don’t care if she was the best friend of the family. It is not right to reveal a friends private phone conversation that you overheard to the press unless you have been explicitly been given permission by the person, period. I rather doubt I’m the only person who has gotten yelled out for revealing an overhead phone conversation to a third party doing it to the press is even worse. I have seen no indication that family asked her to go to the press.

I’m not defending Trump at all, he started it and certainly deserve the fact-checking that he didn’t call everyone, that didn’t give the money promised, and the lied about what past president did.

In an effort to portray Trump in the worse possible light the press and the congresswoman dragged in Gold Star families into the fight. But two wrong don’t make a right. I’ve spent a ton of time and money with the Arizona Memorial so maybe I’m just overly sensitive to gold star families. I’ve just wanted to take a shower watching the last few days.

He did say that. However:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article179869321.html

“A congresswoman stood up, and in a long tradition of empty barrels making the most noise, stood up there in all of that and talked about how she was instrumental in getting the funding for that building, and how she took care of her constituents because she got the money, and she just called up President Obama, and on that phone call, he gave the money, the $20 million, to build the building, and she sat down,” Kelly told reporters.
[…]
The Miami Herald could not obtain video of the April 10, 2015, event, or a transcript of the remarks. Wilson denied saying what Kelly described, and said the timing made no sense.

The General Services Administration had already bid out a $144 million construction contract for the project in September 2010, just a few months before Wilson won her congressional seat. The bidding for federal projects takes place after Congress has secured the funding.

“That is crazy that I got [the money] and Mr. Obama just gave it to me,” Wilson said. “That building was funded long before I got to Congress, I didn’t say that. I have staff, people who write the speeches. You can’t say that.”

The 380,000-square-foot pair of glass towers cost $194 million to build, much higher than the $20 million Kelly cited in his White House remarks.

Oh Jesus, please start to be real and not the fever dream of crazy people, and then send down a swarm of meteors to release us all from the unending torment that Republican voters, all of whom are shameful, awful people, unleashed upon us.

–Nightly prayer of the Armando

Even if it had been true can Kelly have some class?

“Someone check Breitbart and find me a nice smear I can hit that lady with.”

I guess it worked on people in this very thread so whatever win, wins.

I don’t think that Gold Star family was dragged in nor were the Khans. There is no indication of that. The complaint might have come directly from the family. You don’t know otherwise… and of course Trump flat out lying doesn’t instill any confidence for his POV.

This is going pretty badly for Trump, and he’s only going to ramp up his attacks on her:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/19/rep-frederica-wilson-didnt-flinch-at-trumps-attacks-her-record-explains-why

Wilson has deep roots in the South Florida community where Johnson grew up. Before entering Congress, she worked as a teacher, principal and school board member in the Miami-Dade area and served for more than a decade as a state legislator.

She also founded a program in 1993 called 5,000 Role Models of Excellence, which helps at-risk minority youths prepare for college, vocational school and the military. Her long career in public service and her work in the program have put her especially close to military families and victims of gun violence over the years. She does not shy away from grief.

Before Johnson was killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month, he graduated from the program. Wilson was consoling his wife, Myeshia Johnson, when, by her account, Trump called and said that La David Johnson “knew what he signed up for, but when it happens, it hurts.” The president has called the allegation “totally fabricated” and criticized Wilson.

Wilson has a long track record of taking on her constituents’ tragedies as her own, helping people grieve and rallying her community in tough times — especially those who come out of her program, news archives show.

I’m having trouble tracking this.

Didn’t Trump say she was lying about what he said on the call, and he could prove it. Didn’t he say she was lying about his comment that the soldier knew what he was signing up for?

If that’s the case, then why is no one calling him out for rolling out his Chief of Staff to say, “When he said that, what he meant was…”

Either she lied or he did. Done. What am I missing?

-xtien

Trump Supporter rose colored glasses. Any minute now we’ll find out why this is all Obama’s fault.

Well I totally understand that when it comes to the weird gymnastics Trump is doing to fuck up the Affordable Care Act. Whenever somebody says something about him hurting the very states that voted for him, all I think is, “Trump will just blame Obama for the ACA being terrible and that’s really the root of the problem.” Of course he won’t say it in a complete sentence, but they’ll get the message that it’s Obama’s fault. I can see that going over just fine.

I don’t get it with this though. He said he did not say that. And then Kelly said he did, and explained what he meant. That’s pretty cut and dried. Even for his deplorables.

Not that it matters. I think Trump’s sly super-long-con is to show how rich Republicans really don’t care about the troops at all, and their constituents are happy to close their eyes and plug their ears while he does so, even while they claim to be the party of patriotism (whatever that means). He can disrespect the families of dead soldiers at will and they just don’t care if “those people” are liberals.

I have this secret belief that if congress shifts to the Democrats, he’ll just switch parties again and Democrats will totally buy it and re-elect him.

-xtien

Heh, well I was only being half serious but again we’re in a world where facts don’t matter and anything the president doesn’t like is just labeled fake news… and they believe him. You can’t even guess how many people I’ve had to remind that Puetro Rico is ours, they’re actual citizens and no that is not a recent change. He literally makes shit up. We already know that. It’s not an if even.

As for Democrats shifting, well only if their not black, not Hispanic, not LGBTAQ, Muslim, Jewish… I’m sure I am missing a few groups in there that he has pretty much cemented against him. Even the groups that quasi supported him are seeing the actual results now.

His supporters don’t care if he lies.

They literally do not care, at all, when he lies.

Trump: Never said that.

Kelly: I told him him say that because it’s what I would have wanted to hear, this is why…

Trump: Never said that. Fake news!

???

Pretty much every word out of his mouth is a lie. No one that can do anything about it (in the immediate sense) seems to care. Any voters that haven’t turned against him by now are probably beyond hope.

President Donald Trump called three Republican senators this week and expressed support for their 2018 re-election bids, aligning with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in the senator’s intra-party feud with Steve Bannon.

Trump dialed GOP Sens. John Barrasso of Wyoming, Deb Fischer of Nebraska and Roger Wicker of Mississippi, according to five people familiar with the calls. He promised to help the three senators against any insurgent challengers, one of these people said, and said he hoped they would be reelected.

The calls are expected to eventually be followed by formal endorsements, GOP senators said. Wicker, Barrasso and Fischer declined to comment on private discussions with the president. Wicker wasn’t available for comment. Bannon has criticized both Fischer and Barrasso and has told people he would like state Sen. Chris McDaniel to beat Wicker.

“The president has been very supportive, and Senator Barrasso is grateful that President Trump would take the time to call him directly to express his support,” said Dan Kunsman, a top aide to Barrasso.

A White House spokesman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, and a representative for Bannon declined to comment.

We don’t know what motivated Rep. Wilson to reveal trump’s phone conversation, but I think it’s not unreasonable to assume it was not an effort to paint trump in the worst possible light. He does that all on his own.

But even assuming the worse, Kelly all but prostituted himself by turning the fight and the blame on Wilson. Again, this started because trump would not answer a question about the casualties in NIger and cannot accept responsibility for anything. There is always someone else to blame, and Kelly just enabled that by being needlessly petty and vindictive (not to mention his comment about the sacredness of women; I guess only if they sit down and shut up, ‘seen and not heard.’)

This is the lesson we can take from Kelly’s speech:

“trump’s generals” have been put on a pedestal by the very press he is attacking but it’s clear those generals are not going to “save us” from whatever insane impulse strikes trump next. They are fully onboard the crazy and will carry out whatever he wants.