The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

Sorry, I hate it when people ask little quiz questions and here I am doing it myself. I will stop.

I think it’s hard to imagine that Kerry would compare Trump to a teenage boy. I expect that everyone here agrees. If that’s correct, we should ask why.

How about ‘Hyper Active Bonobo?’

Ok, but can we ask why after Trump is gone, climate change isn’t set to cause catastrophic loss of human and animal life, the richest 0.01% aren’t working to destroy the world’s democratic institutions, racism isn’t prevalent, we don’t have millions of kids under 5 dying each year from preventable causes, sexual assault of women is at much lower levels, domestic violence isn’t so common, and we aren’t a red coloured button and a bad hair day away from wiping out the planet?

When that day comes, I think we should all dedicate time to working through the intricacies of our language as well as cultural appropriation.

Sorry, you were on the receiving end of a rant, I had to get it off my chest, you most likely don’t deserve it.

@Tim_N, you and I see eye to eye. I suspect that you sometimes multitask a bit, like me. :)

Indeed, I guess just imagine I am writing to that straw man in the corner of the room.

I just know too many people who care more about whether a specific comment of innocent intent was racist/sexist than the survival of the species and planet, I get triggered too easily these days.

I’m not sure how one can tell that a person cares more about X than they do about Y, unless they know the person well, and probably you’re talking about people you know well.

I was just taking a moment to point out an interaction that I perceived thusly:

John Kerry: Trump has the insecurity of a teenaged girl.
@Mark_Asher: That’s slightly sexist.
White guy #1: It’s not sexist at all. Lighten up.
@scottagibson: It’s the definition of sexist.
Other white guys: Lighten up! Stop making a big deal about this.

Perhaps I will learn that everyone taking the positions I’ve attributed to white men are not, in fact, white men. Should that prove to be true, I will eat all of the crow.

Yep. It’s annoying, but I simply try to ignore these hijacks.

Another white man has had enough.

Pretty much, yep. I’m tired of seeing discussions inevitably break down on who is sufficiently woke.

That doesn’t actually change my position on anything. I’m not going to go get a MAGA hat because someone freaks out if I use the wrong pronoun or something. I think we’re all in agreement that Trump is childish, it’s just that some of us aren’t waiting to leap on that as an ageist statement.

Exactly, it literally just proves that it’s in fact a statement of fact, not sexism.

Sure, there may be tons of reasons why it’s the case, indicative of bullshit in culture and society, etc.,… but the fact remains.

It’s a joke. Folks should relax.

I made my observation because what struck me, after acknowledging that Trump is indeed very insecure, is that most teens are insecure, regardless of gender. The quote I saw didn’t include anything about 8 year old boys so I was reacting only to the comment about teen girls.

Mind you, it didn’t really bother me or strike me as something wrong to say. It was more like, oh hey, that’s a bit sexist. He could easily have said, “…as insecure as a teenage boy at a school dance” or something like that.

Bah, way too much over something insignificant for the most part. It just jumped out at me.

Mark, it could have stopped there, but the white men needed to have their say.

Would a teenage boy say of a 14 year old girl, “In a few years, I’ll be dating her.”? Ok, yeah… never mind.

Edit: sorry if not clear, this is a quote from DT about two 14-yo girl, spoken when he was 46.

He had already used 8 year old boys as a metaphor for Trump’s maturity.

“Trump has the maturity of an 8 year old boy and the insecurity of a teenage boy” sounds kind of creepy to me. YMMV.

It’s a joke and also aimed to anger Trump the most.

Really, the most PC version of the joke would be “Trump has the maturity of an 8 year old and the insecurity of a teenager.”

But even then, that’s a very strong generalization of teenagers, I have known some who are more confident than I am!

What random sentence can we white men pick apart and discuss next?

You guys are in luck. I’m the whitest man on the face of the Earth.

He could have said “…the insecurity of a white man”, given how long this reaction to Mark’s off-hand comment has gone.

I’m very white too, but probably not as white as you (tanned somewhat under the Australian sun), therefore we should probably weight my opinion on this slightly higher than yours.

He should have said “Trump has the maturity of Trump and the insecurity of Trump”. It’s perfectly accurate and perfectly inoffensive.