The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

The idea that the climate change is “gonna change back over millions of years” is hardly comforting when all of recorded history is maybe 7 thousand years, TOPS.

What an idiot.

Everyone knows the earth is only 5000 years old, duh.

“Space Force” my dudes. Now you begin to understand the ten-dimensional chess played by our lizard lord and president!

Well in the past climate change has always changed back, it’s just that it takes thousands of years and involves massive changes. So he wasn’t all wrong. :)

Massive changes = mass extinction event. With all the humans dead greenhouse gases will “massively” lower.

Sigh

“Problem solved” said Pres. Trump.

Wait long enough and oil deposits refill too. So drill, baby, drill.

Renewable resources ftw.

I seriously doubt we’re looking at anything that could cause human extinction, but a ‘realignment’ on the scale of the Bubonic Plague seems feasible.

I suppose it’s possible that the ecological consequences of >3C might cascade in such a way as to render large mammals unsustainable, but I haven’t seen that indicated in what (admittedly limited) literature I’ve read.

Oh, that small matter. We’ll be fine then. But unlike the OG experience, we’ll have environmental devastation and likely radioactive fallout in the mix, yay!

Where is the fallout coming from? A nuclear war triggered by climate events?

That’s the complete unknown factor, isn’t it? Climate change will trigger scarecity and lots and lots of refugees. Considering how much the world freaked out by relatively few Syrian refugees, leading to big political upheaval in Europe, the political consequences are a dangerous unpredictable thing that kind of loom large.

When I read about potential effects of changes, I agree it seems to be something like plague-level bad with small risk of end-of-modern-civilization bad.

Then there are economic impact assessments that say something like “Oh we might be 10% less wealthy than we would otherwise be”.

I find it hard to square this 10% number with “coastal cities are now underwater”. It is just that people coming up with the economic estimates are just sticking to the easy-to-model stuff? I get the feeling that the analysis is kind of like expecting 9/11 to be a tiny economic blip (marginally more lives lost than a typical month, some aircraft and buildings destroyed), without considering the second-order “and then everyone freaked out” effects.

Maybe not a “nuclear winter provoking” one, in which case civilization is almost certainly boned, but a limited exchange is a distinct possibility if things get hairy enough.

or

Permian Extinction. The last time the earth warmed by 6 degrees it wiped out 95% of life on earth including, I believe, all but one land based life form.

6 degrees is not out of the question when you start factoring in various feedback loops. I’ve been saying for a while that I think everyone is under estimating the effect of feedback loops, known and as yet unknown, and, sure enough, as time goes by and scientists start to understand these processes more and observe changes happening before our eyes, the prognostications become more dim

It really depends on how badly the ecology would cascade. I think if there was a way to grow enough food to sustain mammalian biomass, some percentage of the 7 billion humans on earth would be clever enough to survive, even if it was in an Amish Paradise.

Stagnant oceans I think is the bigger issue. Not much aside from fungus can live when the oceans stop pumping out oxygen

I hope you mean Celsius here?

Kevin Bacon, actually.

Obviously nuclear winter is the solution to global warming.

We can drop the temp any time we want!