With Empire Divided, it may be time to return to Total War: Rome II

Empire Divided is an upcoming campaign pack for Total War: Rome II featuring the third century crisis and the dangers of cults, plagues, and banditry during a time of infighting and disunion. The DLC campaign will have ten playable factions, new victory conditions, and special story events. Empire Divided will launch on November 30th.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/11/08/empire-divided-may-time-return-total-war-rome-ii/

Nice!! Time to go back to Ancient Rome indeed.

Any idea if it will add anything to the base grand complain?

The free update for everyone does revamp how politics and territories work as well as refreshing the UI.

The hero factions and reworked politics will work great in Three Kingdoms: Total War.

Bigger question is, will the battle AI implement the stuff that makes Warhammer work so much better?
Rome 2 AI is really lame and even worse on the battlefield :(

Oh man! The in-game encyclopedia is now accessible offline.

What the people really want to know is: will the Romans be integrated into the Mortal Empires campaign?

Hah! That would be awesome.

Now I really need someone to make a mod doing this!

I never saw a big difference in the AI’s ability to fight in Warhammer outside of some flanking maneuvers - something the AI did do in Rome with calvary. Was there more you see?

There is a -lot- of stuff the AI does in Warhammer…let me roll up a few.

• Will advance army in a coherent fashion, even wait on reinforcements
  • Will dodge artillery, its actually VERY effective
  • Will stop and fire archers a few rounds before charging, if got the advantage
  • Will flank furiously and even use skulking forces

Nothing of this is present in Rome or Attilla

He does a few silly things from Rome 2 too, but these things are different.

This has been scientifically disproven.

Which part was disproved? The history part or the not being as fun as Lizards riding lizards?

The Warhammer battle AI is much improved. I believe the flanking was added in Attilla (poorly). Rome 2 is quite rudimentary.

I guess this is a new sort of spin off TW series then?

I certainly like the location for this one.

They’ve said they see an opportunity to put together mini campaigns of various historical eras. So this must be one of them.

I think it’s all good for me, I’ve bought and played every TW title, so clearly I’m a push over for anything they come out with. I like the idea of returning to Rome 2, I enjoyed every DLC campaign for that title, in fact quite a bit more than the GC. So getting a new DLC campaign is all good. Keep’em coming I say.

I’d love a full on take on medieval period for Attila. And I’d love it if they went back to Shogun 2 (pretty sure they won’t) and fired up a three kingdoms effort, or just opened up the map to include Korea and China.

Politics kinda ruined TWR2 for me. It was such a mess. Like 10 different people had ideas and threw them in haphazardly. All they needed to do was import the vital aspects from Rome 1. I Loved LOVED that poli system.

I’m playing through Age of Charlemagne (bought because it was down to £5 or something) and there are some good ideas here but the battlefield ai seems…sub par, and the combat is underwhelming.

On the bright side, there are more things to actually do, like the family tree, and different battle formations (shield wall etc.)

Somewhere between Attila/Charlemagne and Warhammer, lies my ideal TW game.

Possibly one with a more interesting fantasy setting. I find Warhammer somewhat…childish. I suspect that is because its roots were as a parody of fantasy and then at some point they started taking themselves seriously.