Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - ARPG, CryEngine

Full game already, or?

Yeah, I didn’t think this was out until tomorrow. Maybe @Telefrog and these other guys have Super Special Reviewer copies?

Not me. Just saying Act 1 is pretty solid.

Oh, gotcha! Yes, yes it is.

This is describing me right now…

edit: There’s a (German) review of the finished game up at Gamestar:
https://www.gamestar.de/spiele/wolcen-lords-of-mayhem,wertung,3948,9686.html

They feel it ends abruptly and the campaign seems incomplete but otherwise a lot of fun. However they dropped the score from 84 to 69 due to bugs and technical issues (which I’m sure will get ironed out eventually).

The full game comes out tomorrow, probably around noon NY time. I expect the servers to be hammered, as this looks like a big hit from a very small dev.

I played around enough to answer some key questions for me: It does support 3440x1440, you can rebind keys and there isn’t any crazy savegame shenanigans. It also looks to have real depth and complexity in character building. Finally, it’s pretty :)

I think the price goes up tomorrow, too.

Been trying to figure this out. Forums say 10Euro/15 dollar increase, but can’t confirm. Anyone know for sure?

Confirmed here

I did deal with some technical issues in the beta so that doesn’t surprise me. Nothing game-breaking, but they were definitely there. With how much more content they’re releasing for the first time and with their server infrastructure likely getting smashed tomorrow, I’m expecting things to be rocky. Par for the course especially from a small developer, but I’m still looking forward to diving in this weekend!

I just bought it to save some money, but not much point in playing other just to fart around, since there is a data wipe tomorrow

I bought it too, I guess FOMO and FOPM (fear of paying more!).

Rhykker’s video above is really good - he spent quite a while playing in the beta. That video is pretty thorough.

ZiggyD put up a less-detailed preview just now:

In case you missed it, That same guy (Rhykker) will have another video tomorrow with stuff he can’t talk about yet.

The footage in the ZiggyD video is not from the release build. So those impressions don’t include any final release info such as acts 2/3 or endgame

Yeah, I noticed that ZiggyD’s video was using the old HUD. And I did watch Rykker’s video and know of the videos coming - I’m definitely interested in seeing the next two he puts out. One reason I like both of those videos is that I think of Rhykker as a “Diablo guy” and Ziggy as a “POE guy” and since Wolcen seems to be channeling a combination of the two, I thought their two perspectives would be interesting.

Cool. Hadn’t seen either of them before.

I’m very seriously considering splurging on this tomorrow. I’d wishlisted it what seems like years ago, but never bought in because I was waiting for more content and now it’s awfully tempting.

It’s starting to look like the best thing since Grim Dawn but I don’t know if that’s wishful thinking or not.

I will be fishing for info tomorrow and probably cave unless I find a compelling reason not to.

You saw the price goes up tomorrow, yes?

I was not aware, but I suppose that is not a giant surprise…Crap.

The pressure is on!

Edit- I’m weak AND cheap. Done!

LOL apparently I backed this on Kickstarter in 2016…

Just played through all of Chapter 1, which is where the game ends until tomorrow’s patch. It’s good. It is exactly as people have described, a mashup of Diablo 3 and Path of Exile. I don’t believe it’s better than either, and I haven’t seen anything innovative or amazing, but it’s shockingly polished for a new release from a small studio. This looks and feels like a AAA release.

As near as I can tell so far, this is for people who love D3/ PoE, who want more of the same, but are a bit burned out on their favorite.

I actually REALLY like what they do with stats, it’s a lot more interesting than most games because of the way damage is derived. In most games, if you’re a warrior and want to boost your damage, you dump into Strength, if you’re a mage you do Intelligence. Sometimes those stats have other effects, but you have a set “DPS stat”.

In Wolcen, your damage is primarily calculated by your top stat whatever that may be. This means that if your primary stat (that is, the highest stat you have) is Toughness, putting points into Toughness not only gives you the benefits of the stat itself (health, Regen, etc), you also boost your DPS. Secondary and tertiary stats contribute lesser amounts to your DPS.

I really like how this changes how you design builds, at least in theory. You can sink a bunch of points into Toughness to be really tanky without completely gimping your damage. Granted, something like Ferocity will still give more because the stat itself boosts crit damage but still. It’s way more interesting to me than dumping points into Life in Path of Exile.

That’s a good point. And I love games with complex and interesting build possibilities. This appears to be one of them.

In any case, I’ll definitely be playing tomorrow, servers permitting and the creeks don’t rise.