Wolfenstein Enemy Territory released

It’s fun, it’s free, it’ll be popping up on the usual sites. The butter server will likely be put back online tomorrow.

no sites have it posted yet… got linkage?

oops! found the linkage… check every major gaming site…

It’s on FilePlanet and FileShack.

3dgamers has more mirrors too!

is ET stand-alone or do I have to reinstall RtCW?

It’s a standalone game.

"As promised, the full release of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is here. You can grab the Windows or the Linux build. The free class-based multiplayer game comes with six maps and is a 258mb download. You do not need Return to Castle Wolfenstein to play it. "

just answered my own question (again)

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/wolfensteinet/wolfet.exe.html

rock on man!

Is it just me or is this possibly the most professional, AAA-quality game ever released for free? I mean, they just released Day of Defeat in stores for $30, and it’s competing with the likes of Enemy Territory? Come on, what IS the real reason behind this? Why did Activision think this would bomb at retail?

ET is near online multiplayer perfection; unfortunately, it chose to keep the fast-paced, circle-strafing Quake 3-style physics, instead of going with something more in line with MOH/DOD/BF1942. Personal preference, of course, but the arcadey physics seem totally contrary to the depth in the classes/weapons/objectives.

Oh dear, it’s way past Qt3.

I don’t know if you know the whole story behind it, but essentially two different teams were working on Enemy Territory as a retail game, but the single player wasn’t looking good enough so it got cancelled.

Why the multiplayer was finished and given out free-- I think the main reason is to get some press, but this is also Splash Damage’s first retail project and Activision didn’t want to cancel it on them when they were obviously doing well. Cancel the whole thing, Splash Damage might not recover. “Okay, your game’s cancelled, here work on this instead.”

But there probably was an element of not being able to sell it, since it’s only a part of what it was originally intended to be. Not that it wouldn’t sell some, it would just have bad word of mouth.

Yeah, so this is a case of a publisher going out of its way to treat its customers and developers nicely. What, does that not ever happen or something? :D

Personally I think they would have done well go to the Serious Sam route, and publish this with a $15-20 retail price tag. If they launched a demo with only one or two maps, and it ended up being popular, I could see a lot of people dropping $20 to pick this up.

Not that I’m complaining about getting it for free…

I’m having a great time with this. I’m very happy that are giving it away for free altho it would have also been very cool to see this sort of gameplay implemented in a cool single player scenario. I think it would have been really cool. Hell as is, it is still very cool. Gotta love free shit that is also great!

sigh There’s goes my sleep schedule. ;)

• Alan

But there probably was an element of not being able to sell it, since it’s only a part of what it was originally intended to be. Not that it wouldn’t sell some, it would just have bad word of mouth.

Yeah, so this is a case of a publisher going out of its way to treat its customers and developers nicely. What, does that not ever happen or something?

Your emote at the end of the last sentence answers the question there. :)

Although I don’t see what isn’t “nice” about releasing it with a reduced price tag? Plenty of man-hours obviously went into this one; they deserve reimbursement, if not some profit! And hell, we’re in the dawning age of digital distribution (anyone tried trygames.com or gamesondemand.yahoo.com?), how hard would it have been to set up a simple model to sell it online for, say, $15?

Did they totally change the sounds on the weapons? I dunno about the Axis ones, but the Allied ones totally suck (as far as sound effects go, the Thompson is terrible).

There are a lot of really nice and potentially confusing features in Wolf:ET so far, but I’m kinda liking it.

— Alan

There was nothing but complaints from the testers about the sounds and voices from the map test, so they all got changed. I’m not too wild about the changes, but now the Axis cheers include a guy saying “Ah, sehr gut!” as if in the middle of a particuarly powerful orgasm. Also, I absolutely adore the Old Time Radio Announcer guy from the command map screen.

The Thompson sound really stands out as being particularly awful. Why did they bother changing the sounds from the original, unless it was some licensing/free-release issue.

— Alan

Am I smoking the crack, or is there no way to play over a lan? All I see is a “play online” option. Anybody got a link to some support site/forums?

You can play on a LAN. Someone starts a server, and then everyone else clicks Join Game and switches the “Source” portion under the filter options from Internet to Local by clicking it.