Wolfenstein Enemy Territory released

So is butter back up? Same password?

–Dave

Tomorrow. Same IP, same password.

Will you post the IP, email it, or guesswork?

— Alan

It’s posted in the thread about the test release a month or so ago. A search for butter ought to yield results.

Brian Koontz and I are starting at 0.0.0.1 and iterating up from there. Working together, and at a connect rate of 100 milliseconds per IP, we estimate we’ll be joining the server within two hours.

Here is a pretty good download spot to get it from if you have bittorrent installed.

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/BT.html

– Xaroc

Here’s the post with the server information. See you there.

• Alan ‘Itsatrap’ Au

Thanks, Matt.

–Dave

Arcadey games can’t have depth? :)

Just foolin’ with ya.

Quick question: anyone know of a way to open up the individual campaign maps? Looks like you can just select one of two campaigns, each of which are comprised of three sub-maps like Fuel Dump etc. I wanna run around the maps and learn them a bit before jumping into online play.

Dug around a bit and answered my own question. Boot up the game, hit ~ to pull down the console, and type:

\g_gametype 2

and then:

\map [mapname]

where [mapname] is one of the following:

battery
fueldump
goldrush
oasis
radar
railgun

Much like any other id engine game. It’s good for practicing and learning where the objectives are located.

I guess you get what you pay for. Can the game be any more confusing? It is impossible to tell who is an enemy and who is a friend from any distance and this is with the res at 1600x1200. Someone who looks like they are on the other team kills me and I see the name and kill them immediately upon respawn but they are on my team?! They should pay me to play this game. Ugh.

– Xaroc

It’s no BF1942, that’s for sure.

Worth what I paid for it, of course.

I guess you get what you pay for. Can the game be any more confusing? It is impossible to tell who is an enemy and who is a friend from any distance and this is with the res at 1600x1200. Someone who looks like they are on the other team kills me and I see the name and kill them immediately upon respawn but they are on my team?! They should pay me to play this game. Ugh.

Uhm, if you really can’t tell a visual difference between an Axis and Allied uniform (which I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with) then you could just try pointing your aiming reticle at them… Their name and health will pop up above them if they are on your team, they wont if they’re an enemy.

If someone teamkills you then you will get the option to file a complaint against them, so if you believe they did it intentionally (please keep in mind accidents happen) then chose YES to file a complaint - when they have a few complaints filed against them they will get banned from the server automatically. Which means that intentional team killers generally get dealt with very quickly.

Furthermore I suggest reading the manual that comes with the game, maybe then it wont seem so confusing.

There’s a lot of great info for us n00bs at:
http://www.rtcwonline.com/dummies/enemyterritory.htm

Got on butter last night around 12AM EST…no one around. :(

I hopped on a random server and the action was fierce. Gotta learn the maps though. I dig that black and white opening. Someone used their head to come up with that. Nice work.

–Dave

Got a problem with this game.

At the start of any map, I get constant stuttering for 5 minutes and my hard drive goes whacked.

Any suggestions ?

Telling teams apart is pretty straightforward once you know what to look for:

Axis = guys in gray/black trenchcoats.
Allies = guys in pants and tan jackets.

As for the weird same-team kill, that was probably me. There are a couple of things that might have happened. I did switch teams once during the session, but more likely you were killed by one of my mines, or else if was an enemy Covert Ops who stole my uniform.

Names only show up for friendly units… except for Covert Ops, who can steal pants off of enemy troops and assume their appearances. If you target someone who looks like an enemy and see a no-shoot symbol, that’s a friendly Covert Ops. Alternately, if you see your own name pop up, shoot that person!

Finally, those little flags with ‘M’ on them are mines – do not walk over them. If you walk over a friendly mine and get blown up, well, that’s your own fault.

• Alan ‘Itsatrap’ Au

Someone remind me again why Butter has punkbuster turned off.

Not to point any fingers… just seems unusual to disable it.

I definitely improved my game tonight. All it took was playing an engineer. This game is damn fun, and it’s free. Did you hear that people? You can play this for free.

–Dave

It’s no BF1942, that’s for sure.

Worth what I paid for it, of course.

It’s probably not as instantly accessible as BF1942, but the class system is deeper, and the maps actually have interesting objectives instead of just checkpoint over and over and over.

There’s a player guide in the help folder of the game directory. Has every bit of info you need and gives tips on how best to use each class.

Once you feel like you understand what’s going on and know where to head out to each time you spawn, the experience is just sublime.

Medic’s probably the best class for a new player, since you can be an effective member of the team just by following someone around, keeping them healed and you can learn how to play by watching what they’re doing.